We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Permian Reef Trail

Chicago Illinois
Permian Reef Trail

Has anyone hiked the Permian Reef Trail? We'd like to hike it to see the fossils, but are worried about it being too hard a trail for us, though we have done 2000 ft. elevation gains before. What was your experience?

3 replies to this topic
Duncanville, Texas
reviews: 4
1. Re: Permian Reef Trail

A few things you should consider. First, it's not a particularly steep trail, so it's not particularly strenuous. Second, if you find it's too much for you, there's a geology loop that runs off the permian reef trail before it gets too far up, and it's loaded with fossils. Third, there's also a nature loop right by the visitor's center, and it's loaded with fossils too. The fossils on the geology loop and the nature loop both are in rocks that have rolled down from the formations further up, but they're easy to get to and worth seeing if you like fossils even if you do take the permian reef trail.

Channelview, Texas
2. Re: Permian Reef Trail

I hiked the Permian Reef Trail on my way to Wilderness Ridge. Permian will give you a workout, but not as bad as the hike to the top. This is a trail that doesn't get much use. Most of the visitors walk through McKittrick Canyon. I'm not in great shape, but I didn't have any trouble with Permian. I recommend this trail.

Chicago Illinois
3. Re: Permian Reef Trail

I forgot to reply either post - sorry about that. We did hike the Permian Reef trail soon after I asked the question and loved it. It was not a hard trail, but a fun trail, like a treasure hunt. We found most of the fossils! We also did the nature loop and the geology loop and they were good too.

Reply to: Permian Reef Trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted