We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Predictions for Fall Color

West Monroe...
reviews: 36
First Predictions for Fall Color

I know many of you, like myself, are probably looking forward to visiting the Smokies in the Fall. Each year, one of the bloggers that I follow is Fall Color Guy, a botanist from Appalachian State University. I was so excited to see his first post of 2014 this afternoon. It means that we can finally start looking forward to Fall, a really nice thought, especially here in Louisiana where we've had temps of 97+ for most of this last week.

I thought I'd share his Facebook page with you.

https://www.facebook.com/FallColorGuy?fref=nf

You may also want to bookmark this one from GSMA. I typically follow both pages throughout the Fall as I'm planning for my annual trip.

smokiesinformation.org/nature-wildlife/…

4 replies to this topic
Bowling Green...
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
reviews: 100
1. Re: First Predictions for Fall Color

Thank you for posting that. I am starting to plan our Fall (October) trip aswell. I know really no one can know the dates for sure, but based on my experience you can't go wrong with the middle of the month.

We are thinking about going Oct.15-22 or Oct.23-30. I really would like to be there while the Gatlinburg Craftsman Fair is going on.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
reviews: 24
2. Re: First Predictions for Fall Color

As much as we love to see the brilliant fall colors of the smokies during mid to late October, we invariably wait till the first week of November to go. By this later date we miss a lot of the huge crowds of "leaf lookers". We really don't miss too much of the fall color....there's still some left on the trees. And the ones that have already fallen, make for a beautiful golden-reddish carpet in the woods and on the roads. Plus, temps are getting noticeably cooler.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
3. Re: First Predictions for Fall Color

The "peak color" in the Smokey Mountains is always a crap-shoot. In the past, we have hit what we thought to be "prime color" as early as the second week in October, but have also hit the same, in the first week in November.

Of course, much depends on the year, the elevation, the orientation, the weather at a specific area, and health of the various trees in a specific area. Lots of variables, and they can make a difference.

Sources, such as The Weather Channel are quick to offer their suggestions, but I have found them to be wrong, in more cases, than being correct. They (and many others) just broadly speculate, and have zero input from the ground, in the areas. They are too busy producing some "Man Against Weather" program, since they have been purchased by NBC.

Over the decades, I have toured the second week in October, and have hit too early, just right and too late, depending on where we traveled to.

With all of that said, I have encountered great Fall Color, at some point, regardless of when the "peak" is predicted to hit _____ .

Good luck,

Hunt

West Monroe...
reviews: 36
4. Re: First Predictions for Fall Color

The Great Smoky Mountains Association has published their first update of the season at smokiesinformation.org/nature-wildlife/…

Reply to: First Predictions for Fall Color
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted