We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

float trip vs white water rafting

Chesterfield...
reviews: 3
float trip vs white water rafting

We'll be in the Tetons next week and would like feedback on taking a float trip vs white water rafting trip. Which company do you recommend. Also interested in horseback riding as well. Saw where one company does a Saddle/Paddle tour. Anyone done this?

12 replies to this topic
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
reviews: 2
1. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

River trips come in two categories: whitewater and scenic float trips.

The whitewater trips go through the Snake River gorge south of Jackson. (There are no whitewater trips within Grand Teton National Park.) You ride through a deep, beautiful gorge and run rapids of medium intensity (mostly 2s and some 3s). Minimum age is generally 6, sometimes reduced to 5, and sometimes increased to 7 or 8 when the rivers peaks toward the end of June (at around 17,000 cfs). You get wet (they give or rent you a wetsuit), it's exciting and wild, and everyone has a good time experiencing the thrill and beauty of the river. Here are outfitters that offer whitewater trips:

jacksonholenet.com/summer_recreation/whitewa…

Barker-Ewing.com

DaveHansenWhitewater.com

JHWW.com

LewisandClarkRiverRafting.com

Mad-River.com

Oars.com

SandsWhitewater.com

TetonWhitewater.com

Float trips are on the Snake River before it enters the Gorge. It's a lot less exciting, but much calmer, with a good chance to see wildlife and take pictures. The most scenic float trips are through a 10-mile stretch of the Snake River lying inside GTNP, which provides good views of the Tetons as you float by. Other float trips are outside the park, starting near the town of Wilson. Check with them for times of day you want to take the trip and compare prices. If your goal is to see wildlife, dawn and sunset are the best times, especially for elk and mule deer.

Here are some outfitters that do float trips inside the park:

Barker-Ewing Scenic Tours: www.barkerewing.com

To avoid confusion, note that Barker and Ewing split their company in the mid 1980s. Now one company - 800-365-1800 - does the in-park float trips (I think that's the part that Barker took), and the other company - (800) 448-4202 - does out-of-park float trips with a meal and also offers whitewater trips (I think that's the part that Ewing took). The two are on good terms and refer bookings back and forth.

Flagg Ranch Resort: www.flaggranch.com

Grand Teton Lodge Company: www.gtlc.com

Heart 6 Float Trips: www.heartsix.com

Signal Mountain Lodge: www.signalmtnlodge.com

Snake River Angler: www.snakeriverangler.com

Solitude Float Trips (offers both in-park and south-of-park trips): www.solitudefloattrips.com

Triangle X / National Park Float Trips: www.trianglex.com

Lost Creek Ranch: http://lostcreekadventure.com

I don't have any experience with the combined river and horseback trips.

Chesterfield...
2. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

Thanks for all the great information!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
3. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

You're welcome.

If you decide not to do the combined trip, I'd be happy to make recommendations about horseback riding if you'll let me know how long you want to ride and any other particulars.

Chesterfield...
4. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

Yes, TetonBill, I would love some recommendations For horse back riding. Thanks!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
5. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

As I said, I'd be happy to make recommendations about horseback riding if you'll let me know how long you want to ride and any other particulars.

Chesterfield...
6. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

I'm thinking 2 hours for horseback riding. Thanks!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
7. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

I'd suggest a couple of places. First is Heart 6 Ranch:

heartsix.com/horse-back-riding/…

This guest ranch, about 45 minutes north of Jackson, offers rides to non-guests. Rides are from Buffalo Valley north toward the Teton Wilderness Area or along the Buffalo Fork River, all with excellent scenery and great views of the Tetons. Minimum age: 6.

Or consider Mill Iron Ranch:

http://www.millironranch.net/trail-rides.html

Chancy Wheeldon and his wife, Kim, run the ranch. Really pretty rides into the national forest on the west side of the Gros Ventre Wilderness Area. This ranch is only about 15 minutes south of Jackson.

Edited: 8:59 pm, July 06, 2014
Chesterfield...
8. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

Thanks for suggestions!

Chesterfield...
9. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

TetonBill we are currently in Jackson and are hoping to go horseback riding. We looked into Iron Mill Ranch and were a little concerned about the steep inclines on this ride. We are 8 adults with several being inexperienced riders. Have you done this ride before? We were thinking of the 2 hour ride. Thanks for your input!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
10. Re: float trip vs white water rafting

I haven't ridden out of Mill Iron, but I'm sort of familiar with the terrain nearby. There are indeed hills, but I think that even novice riders would be ok. If you're concerned, I'm sure Kim will be happy to discuss it with you. Otherwise, consider riding with Heart 6. That terrain is a little hilly, but not as hilly as the area around Mill Iron.

Reply to: float trip vs white water rafting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted