We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

Hello, I am starting to plan a extended family trip to the GC next summer. There will be 16 of us including my 85 yo father to my 3 yo nephew so most of the adventuresome attractions will be off limits to us. I was thinking of keeping Las Vegas as our home base and taking a motorcoach tour to either the Skywalk (2 hours from Vegas?) or the South Rim (5 hours from Vegas?). I'd really like to see both places. Instead of going back to Vegas I was wondering if there's any kind of transportation available between the South Rim and the Skywalk area?

The kind of things I thought we could do as a family are helicopter rides, pontoon boats, jeep tours and the IMAX movie. Any other suggestions for that age spread?

Thank you for your help!

27 replies to this topic
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
11. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

For wateractivities you may check Willow Beach closer to Las Vegas (just beyond Hoover Dam)

12. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

Logistical"nightmare" presented a "dream" plan. Love it for a family gathering!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 14
13. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

As much as I love the GC area, for a family reunion in summer that's cheaply accessible, with good outdoor activities, I'd choose something in the Rockies or maybe the Sierra. The temperatures are so much more reasonable and I've always found flights to Denver to be really inexpensive in summer (from the Midwest, anyway.) My parents are in their mid-80's and they would be miserable in 100+ degrees. JMHO.

Ventura, California
reviews: 9
14. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

I tend to agree that hot, arid areas should be avoided by young and old while vacationing. Their bodies just aren't as equipped to moderate the heat as ours. The OP was considering LV in summer with a second option being Sedona so I stuck to that. There are dozens of places that would be cooler, except for maybe Death Valley. We found that the Grand Canyon south rim is pretty nice in July, monsoons and all (unless you are in a tent during a massive lightning storm, but I digress). Colorado would be at the top of the list of alternatives.

Indiana
15. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

You have convinced me away from Las Vegas and into Sedona!

So I've done some research into it and I think our plan will be to fly into Sedona and hire a bus charter to pick us up from the airport and take us to the South Rim. We can stay at Yavapai East Lodge (I understand that's the one with air conditioning) for two nights. Does anyone know if that place requires a hike to get to the view? We'll see how hardy my dad feels and book tours accordingly. Then we'll have a bus charter back to Sedona. I was thinking of staying at the Best Western Plus Inn of Sedona, mainly because it offers a free shuttle to the uptown area with the restaurants and tours and I'd like to avoid renting a car at all. We'll stay for three nights and see if there are any good tours that can accommodate our party.

Does that sound like a good plan? Thanks for your help!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
16. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

Your better plan might be... Fly into Phoenix, arranging ground transfers to Sedona ... Discuss charters with the "Pink Jeep", tour operator ... Google.. their web pages ... carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
17. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

Moving your large party will be challenging, but doable and you're doing well so far.

Yavapai has AC, but the odds are you won't need it. There's a heatwave in AZ right now but the current temperature at the GC south rim is 62 degrees. Highs in the day time will reach the 80s but you won't be in your rooms during the day. It's a short walk from Yavapai to the rim, or there is a shuttle system that you can hop on to get there and elsewhere inside the park. Use the park website to learn about the park and services available.

At Sedona you really need a car, or two. The free shuttle from BW Plus gets you to Uptown, but many in your party will be wanting to go anyplace but the Uptown shops and services. Good news is that you can rent cars in Sedona.

As noted, Pink Jeep is a good source for charter transportation. Also contact Grand Adventures and Silver Spur.

18. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:05 am, August 01, 2014

Indiana
19. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

Why would Phoenix be better to fly into than Sedona if we are only visiting Sedona and Grand Canyon? Would it save any time? Although I want to get the absolute best deal, I'm willing to spend money if it makes things more efficient and convenient.

I don't want to rent cars primarily because the 8 cousins constantly want to be together, and I don't want our husbands to deal with the hassle of parking or directions. Are there taxis readily available in Sedona? It looks like the hotel shuttle only seats 12, so 4 adults may have to follow behind in a taxi. It's for my mom's 70th birthday so I want it to be as relaxing as possible. We'll book (hotel pick up) bus tours during the day to take us to the sights and provide commentary. Come back to the hotel each afternoon for swimming and relaxing, and head uptown only for dinner. None of us are really shoppers. I saw that there is a stargazing tour available, but it said that August was "monsoon weather" so that might not be available.

I'm a bit worried about the elevation at the South Rim. Do many people have difficulty breathing that high up? My dad's not frail, but he's not exactly in hiking form at all. But the Grand Canyon is something they've always wanted to see so I'd like to make it a reality if at all possible.

Thanks so much!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 14
20. Re: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?

There are no commercial flights that fly into Sedona. It's a small airport for private planes, air tours and charter flights. You're going to have to fly into Phoenix (about a 2-hour drive to Sedona) or Flagstaff (30-40 minutes away.) No direct flights to Flagstaff, however, so there will be a layover in Phoenix and a change of planes, and it may end up taking longer to get to Sedona in the long run.

The South Rim is at 7,000 feet elevation. *In general*, most people don't experience significant altitude effects below 8,000 feet. Some people may have very minor symptoms, like headaches, loss of appetite. Dehydration can aggravate symptoms, so keep your party well-hydrated.

Edited: 12:16 pm, July 28, 2014
Reply to: Any transportation from South Rim to Skywalk?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted