We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelling Trip??

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Florida
reviews: 3
Cancelling Trip??

Just curious to know who else is cancelling and rescheduling for a later date due to the shutdown?

As is the same for many others, our family has a trip planned and have been planning for months to go on and trip to the national parks in Az. and Ut.

Most of our time is supposed to be spent in the national parks.

We are reconsidering the trip and thinking of rescheduling. Is anyone else doing the same?

This is the only time we had ever planned on making a trip out there and going to the local attractions wouldn't be the same in my opinion.

We will wait it out another week or so. Our trip isn't until 10/24.

7 replies to this topic
Roswell, Georgia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Cancelling Trip??

Our trip is set to start on 10/21, but I'm hanging loose waiting to see what will happen. The only lodging that will be affected is at GCNP, but we had quite a few gov't run sites on our itinerary for activities. We won't cancel, but I'm studying our alternatives in lieu of original plans.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
reviews: 60
2. Re: Cancelling Trip??

I think alot would depend upon what kind of deposits would be lost upon cancellation and whether this is a trip of a lifetime. There is plenty to see outside of the Natl Parks, if you don't want to reschedule.

All the more reason to return later to see more, once the parks reopen.

Gainesville, Florida
reviews: 3
3. Re: Cancelling Trip??

No deposits lost. Our airline has already told us that they would give us a voucher to use for up to a year.

Really it would come down to when our schedule would allow us. But, no money lost really.

Mesa, AZ
reviews: 112
4. Re: Cancelling Trip??

Wow--the airline is offering vouchers? That is really decent. You might want to go online to ask.com and ask if the site you are interested in is open during the government shutdown. Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 78
5. Re: Cancelling Trip??

we're travelling around usa for 5 months (2 months already done) but our schedule to hit grand canyon after las vegas is next sunday 13th and we've allocated 8days for the national parks so I hope the USA government get their act together by then! i can't reschedule as we wanted to see the marvel of the national park but if its closed, then thats bs

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 15
6. Re: Cancelling Trip??

Sydney_Aussie, I would encourage you to have a back-up plan. I fear that the shutdown won't be resolved until the debt ceiling issue deadline, which is October 17th. They've passed a bill that ensures furloughed government employees backpay, thus relieving some of the immediate pressure for a resolution.

Bedford,U.K
reviews: 5
7. Re: Cancelling Trip??

DTF thanks for update. That does seem to prolong affairs, and I too agree that 17th will be the definitive date

Im due in town on 28th some have some days of grace yet.

Reply to: Cancelling Trip??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted