We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sigh.... last minute trip planning

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Sigh.... last minute trip planning

My partner and I live in Las Vegas and have been attempting all year to get to the Grand Canyon and do the rim to rim hike, with no luck. We're moving in August and are now getting super antsy to make sure we visit! A work event just canceled, leaving us with Memorial weekend totally free, however, I understand that it is basically impossible to get either a camping permit or reservations at Phantom Ranch in this time frame.

This is probably our last shot at visiting (at least while we live here). Is there any way of us doing the rim to rim hike? If it just ain't gonna happen, what other suggestions do you have for still having a super hiking intensive, adventurous, and beautiful Grand Canyon trip?

I appreciate your help so much!

Las Vegas, Nevada
21. Re: Sigh.... last minute trip planning

Hey all! I know this is a little belated, but I wanted to let you know that we had an amazing trip and I am super indebted to all your advice!

We stayed at the Grand Canyon Lodge at the North Rim on the first night (how adorable are those little cabins! ) and started hiking around 5:30am the next morning. We reached Phantom Ranch pretty late, maybe around 4:30pm, due to an extended hang-out at Ribbon Falls (which was totally worth it!) , then hiked the rest of the way out on Bright Angel Trail the next day. We spent that night at the South Rim, then took the Grand Canyon Shuttle back to the North Rim at 7:30 am the next morning.

It was such a gorgeous and memorable trip! Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
22. Re: Sigh.... last minute trip planning

Please take time to write and post a full trip report. Experiences like yours are what help others to duplicate the experience.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
23. Re: Sigh.... last minute trip planning

So glad you had a great trip!! Thanks for letting us know!

SJG

24. Re: Sigh.... last minute trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 07, 2014