We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yavapai or Maswik?

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County, CA
Yavapai or Maswik?

We are going to Grand Canyon in August and decided to stay a night in the park. There is availability at both Yavapai and Maswik. I like the idea of Maswik's location in relation to the rim, but I wonder if the update at Yavapai is nicer. So, any opinions?

Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 13
1. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Choosing Yavapai or Maswick is strictly personal preference. Some people like to be closer to the Rim, other people prefer Yavapai for various reasons. The size of the rooms aren't a huge deal; choose which location you prefer. I like the forest view rooms at Yavapai, which are also very quiet.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but IMHO it's also nice to have air conditioning in the summer months. Not all Yavapai or Maswick rooms have a/c, so pay attention to which room you're getting if it's important to you. The mornings and evenings are fine without a/c, but we get up so early at the GC that we like to take a mid-afternoon nap, and in the summer, it can get a bit warm in the rooms. Now that said, if I have a choice between Yavapai, Maswick, or a Bright Angel cabin, I'll choose the BA cabin any day of the year! ;)

You can also book a room now, and see if there are any cancellations for a different lodge, as it gets closer to your trip. (If you prefer El Tovar or Bright Angel, for example.)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
2. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Toss a coin. Just do it quickly, or the choices will disappear.

Orange County, CA
3. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Great! Thank you Hummingbird and RedRox for your input. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something if we didn't stay at Yavapai! My husband voted for closer to the rim and Maswik was still available, so that's our choice. I think I'll keep on looking for El Tovar or Bright Angel. To be right on the rim would be very cool...

Thanks,

Allison

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 11
4. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Don't limit yourself to El Tovar or Bright Angel. Kachina and Thunderbird, which are also on the rim, would be just as good, location-wise, and the rooms would be pretty much the same as the rooms at Maswick and Yavapai..

Edited: 6:21 pm, May 03, 2013
ohio
reviews: 8
5. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

hello.

Stayed last year at yavapai..........clean no frills..what we liked being close to general store and just a minute or so from shuttle...so everything is less than 15 minutes once on shuttle got up one morning and deer outside our building. next night female elk walked by two level building.. again no frills

Motel 6. But are you there for the frills?? If you want frills..go to the lodges. We really enjoyed our stay there

Massachusetts
6. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

We stayed at Yavapai for a night a couple of weeks ago. It was nice, they did a good job with the refurbishment, and quiet.

Although some may disagree, with only one night in the park, I don't think it makes much of a difference if you stay at one of the lodges on the rim or off the rim. We've visited the park a few times now and stayed anywhere from one to three nights. Check in is generally later in the afternoon and check out is 11am. You'll spend so little time in the room on a one night stay it doesn't make a difference where you stay. On a longer visit I'd tell you that you should absolutely stay on the rim if possible but with only one night it doesn't really matter.

Edited: 9:36 pm, May 05, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
7. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Canyonexplorer is so right. For a single night, it doesn't matter where you sleep, as long as it is inside the park.

Massachusetts
8. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

I think all total we may have spent about 10 hours in the room and 9 of those were sleeping. After we checked in we dropped our bags off at the room and within 5 minutes were off to walk along the rim, watch the sunset, and have dinner. We had to wait a little while for a table at dinner time but it actually worked out good because we were able to take our time eating and could just unwind and relax a bit (plus my jaw was still wired from a recent jaw surgery so eating was a challenge and very slow for me). Got back to the room about 10pm and since we had just flown in the day before my body was still on east coast time so it was straight to bed. Up around 7am the next morning, showered, packed up the car, and checked out around 8am and headed off to the South Kaibab Trail for a hike to Cedar Ridge.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
9. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

Maswik would be my second choice after the Bright Angels historic cabins. Keep trying and one may pop up on the Xanterra website.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 60
10. Re: Yavapai or Maswik?

For 1 night, concentrate on just getting lodging that fits your needs and budget.