We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route from GC to San Diego?

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scenic route from GC to San Diego?

Dear all,

My parents and I are planning on visiting GC for two days/one night in May, then driving to San Diego (with a 1 night stop).

Can you give us some suggestions on which route to go? Reading previous posts, it seems like taking I40 for most of the way is the fastest. Since we are not experienced with road trips (my parents are visiting from Taiwan), we would like to not drive for more than 6 hours a day.

Is there an alternate route that's more scenic and will take us to San Diego with less than 6 hours of driving per day? If not, what would be the best town to stay overnight on the I-40?

Thanks!

Jenny

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
1. Re: Scenic route from GC to San Diego?

There are scenic routes, but the directions will be rather complicated. I would suggest that it would be best to stay with the standard route of I-40 to Barstow, and I-15 from there to San Diego. This is all freeway driving. You will be driving through the east edge of the LA area which can be quite congested, so be patient.

The only good place to stop would be Barstow which would be about 5.5 hours from GCNP. There are lots of motels/hotels there. From Barstow, depending on LA traffic, it will be about 3-4 hours to San Diego.

2. Re: Scenic route from GC to San Diego?

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I will look into stooping at Barstow.

I was just browsing for different options online, and find that there is a amtrak train that goes from Flagstaff to LA (the train route seems to parallel I-40). The trip will take much longer, but may require less navigating and more scenic areas?

Thanks again!

Jenny

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
3. Re: Scenic route from GC to San Diego?

How are you planning on getting to the Grand Canyon? Do you have lodging there? If not, get it as soon as your plans are firm.

grandcanyonlodges.com

Amtrak does present an option to travel to LA and continue to San Diego. The Southwest Chief leaves Flagstaff at 9:33 PM and arrives in LA at 8:15 AM. It's overnight, so not very scenic. After that, there are several Pacific Surfliner trains to San Diego. That is an interesting route, does go along the ocean in one part.

Edited: 9:20 pm, March 23, 2013
4. Re: Scenic route from GC to San Diego?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 25, 2014