We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
reviews: 23
Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

Wife and I are going to the Grand Canyon in early summer to hike rim to rim. We are flying in to Las Vegas and driving to the North Rim.

Don't really care about seeing Vegas, we are only flying in there because it is closer than Phoenix.

Here are a few things we have thought of doing and would love some suggestion for other day trip ideas or sights to see on the way.

1) Hover Dam

2) Probably spend a day or 2 in Zion National Park

3) The Wave at Coyote Buttes

Thanks for any suggestions.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

HI

Hoover Dam is not on the way to North rim. It''s on the way to south rim.

2 days in Zion are highly recommended. Bryce Canyon NP is not too far away from Zion and requires another overnight stay imo.

You''ll need permits for The Wave blm.gov/az/…permits.html

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
2. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

Do not "turn a wheel" without a NPS. permit in hand for your proposed route...Understand, a rental car will stand unused for several days...as there is no public transport to the north Rim...carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
3. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

Unless you have permits for camping in the GC, or reservations for Phantom Ranch at the river, don't even think about hiking rim to rim. As Carracar correctly notes, this is the absolute first requirement. No exceptions!

Zion is an ideal place to visit and 2-3 days there will give you plenty of challenging hiking options. Bryce is nearby and also worthy of a night or two.

Hiking the Wave is another strictly monitored and permitted activity. Permits are limited to 20 hikers per day. Again, no exceptions.

You'll need to apply for all of these permits 4 months in advance of your trip. Read up on the process and become familiar with how to maximize your odds of winning.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 106
4. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

You are flying out of Vegas then?From the North rim you can complete the loop by driving through Page and then around to the South rim, then to Vegas. You will be able to pick up Lees ferry/Dell/Marble Canyon, then possibly Glen Canyon dam with a short detour,and Hoover dam en route.

I would assume you are hiking North to South rim, then taking the shuttle back to the North rim.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
5. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

Has this hike become a "annual event" ? You might share a discription of your rim to rim last year...so we here, can better help with specifics... Rather than erhash things you now, know...carracar

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 14
6. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

Beauxp, based on your previous posts, it looks like you've been planning this R2R for a while now... did you eventually get Phantom Ranch reservations?

Which direction are you doing the R2R and how are you shuttling your vehicle -- leaving it at the starting trailhead and shuttling back or leaving it at the finishing trailhead and shuttling to the start? How much time do you have overall?

Zion and Bryce are the logical stops on the North Rim. You'll want a few days in Zion. Definitely plan on hiking the Narrows.

www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/hiking.cfm

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 45
7. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

A quick check of Beausp's profile shows, as DetTigerFan noticed, that they have hiked to Phantom before, from the South Rim, so they "know the drill." They must have lucked into some cancellations. Congratulations!

Zion is a great choice as it is so close to Las Vegas; You can fly inot and out of there without actually spending a night in Sin City. ,Our rim-to-rim included a night at Zion before heading to the North Rim, and three nights after. We also stayed on the North rime right before the hike, at the South Rim after hiking up, and another night at the North Rim as the shuttle doens't get you back until 6 pm, and we didn't want to jump in the car and keep driving. this pace felt just about perfect.

With 3 nights or so at Zion, you will have time to do some great hikes. I second DetTigerFan's recommendation of the Narrows---a really fun experience. Do check at zion Adventure Co. before starting on this one---the watr and weather conditions can make it unsafe, and early summmer can be a tricky time.

Permits for The Wave are probably even harder to get than reservations at Phantom.

Edited: 4:04 pm, December 31, 2012
Baton Rouge...
8. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

Thanks for the tip on The Wave. I did not realize there were permits involved with that.

I have my reservations for rim2rim at Phantom as well as places to stay on both rims.

I realize the car will sit idle but that is the nature of things.

This is my 4th time to the river (once in Phantom, twice tent camping, this time in Phantom again).

We are going north to south and I plan to book Transcanyon Shuttle (unless someone knows domething better) as far as I know this is the only option.

We like hiking, me for the scenery, challenge, and being outdors; my wife likes to hike mostly for the challenge, then scenery.

Baton Rouge...
9. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

Enzian, I know about that Phantom reservations line. Been on it more than a few times.

I have about 7-9 days total.

Counting the shuttle ride back to the north rim we are doing Rim2Rim in 3 days.

Edited: 5:26 pm, December 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
10. Re: Vegas to North Rim - looking for some suggestions

If you can't get the Wave, look at other hikes in Vermillion Cliffs NM - blm.gov/az/…vermilion.html or in Grand Staircase Escalante NM - blm.gov/ut/…grand_staircase-escalante.html

I have not hiked there, but we are planning a visit in April!