We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

We are thinking about going to South Rim Grand Canyon on Christmas weekend, but weather forcast says there will be 50% change of snow shower. Will it be difficult to drive and hike? We plan to drive from FlagStaff to Grand Canyon South Rim visitor center, and take shuttles in the park. Is it a good idea to go there at this time? Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Coming from Los Angeles it will be easier to drive Williams to GC. Flagstaff will be a detor. Check roadcondition at www.az511.com There never is a bad time to visit GCNP. You cabn drive from GCViilage to Hermit's rest yourself. No shuttle to it is running in december.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
2. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Use AZ511.com for up to the minute road conditions. The GC is gorgeous with snow

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 72
3. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Do you have lodging booked yet? Christmas is a busy weekend at the Grand Canyon. Visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com for Grand Canyon Park Village hotels or http://bit.ly/U6kL7G for Tusayan/Grand Canyon Village South just outside the park.

All in-park roads are open to private vehicles at the time of your visit, so you can just drive yourselves to the various viewpoints if you want. If interested in a tour, Xanterra offers bus tours to each of the South Rim Drives, and they are quite reasonably priced. Tickets are usually available for purchase same-day at the tour desks at Bright Angel Lodge, Maswik Lodge and Yavapai Lodge. Or if you're already committed to staying in Flagstaff and just want to have someone else do the driving, tours such as this one ->: http://bit.ly/Rn1raN are available that pick up and drop off at local hotels and offer the option of taking a 30-minute helicopter ride (or not).

Main thing as has already been said is to check www.az511.com before setting out. And yes, the Grand Canyon is absolutely stunning in the snow!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 57
4. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

You don't need a tour in GCNP. At this time of year, you do need your own vehicle. The shuttles run only in the central GC Village area at this time of year, so the west road to Hermits Rest is open to vehicle traffic. The east road to Desert View requires a vehicle all year. In my view, the in park tours are expensive.

The biggest advantage of driving yourself is that you can go when and where you want, and stay as long as you want. You will receive comprehensive information about the park on entry.

You're giving yourself a big disadvantage by not staying in the park. By the time you park, you will spend 2 hours driving from Flagstaff. That's 4 hours out of your limited daytime day, leaving you without only about 6 hours. If you are going to stay in Flagstaff, I hope that you are able to go to GCNP more than one day. Have a good visit!

Los Angeles...
5. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Our itinerary is Los Angeles > Sedona > Flagstaff> Grand Canyon. Do you still recommend that we stay in Williams instead of Flagstaff? Driving from Los Angeles, is it better to take free way 40 or free way 10? Thanks a bunch.

Los Angeles...
6. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Our itinerary is Los Angeles > Sedona > Flagstaff> Grand Canyon. Do you still recommend that we stay in Williams instead of Flagstaff? Driving from Los Angeles to Sedona, is it better to take free way 40 or free way 10? Thanks a bunch.

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Thanks Redrox for the info

Los Angeles...
8. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Thank you. Luckily, we booked a one night stay in Grand Canyon.

Los Angeles...
9. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

Thanks for giving me lots of useful info!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
10. Re: Christmas in South Rim Grand Canyon

If you want to drive via I10 and I17 I''d stay Sedona for the night but fastest way from LA is via I15 and I40 to Williams.