We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon,please help!!!!

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winchester...
reviews: 31
Road trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon,please help!!!!

I need some advice. Can anyone tell me what interstates are the best way to see beautiful views from SD to GC? We are planing to stay there from 12-5 to 12-6. We never been to GC and is 2 nights too much or should I stay 3 nights. What should I see when I get there? Should I stop by Sedona ?

Best,

Eddy

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 60
1. Re: Road trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon,please help!!!!

You are talking about 8.5-9 hours of driving not counting stops. People will make a lot of recommendations for alternate routes and things to see. You have minimal time, so I recommend getting to GCNP without distractions. There are no beautiful views on the interstates. Taking alternate routes to find scenery wil add hours to the travel time, which you do not have.

Fastest route: I-15 north to I-40 east to Hwy 64 at Williams AZ and north to GCNP. Not particularly scenic.

Alternate route, almost same time: I-8 east to Gila Bend, Hwy 85 north to I-10 east, Loop 101 north and east around west Phoenix basin, I-17 north to I-40 west to Hwy 64 north to GCNP. Scenic north of Phoenix.

Considering your travel time, 2 nights at GCNP is minimal. If you want to see Sedona, take the second route back to SD, but you will need at least another night.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Road trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon,please help!!!!

Fastest way already will be close to a 9 hours drive between SD and GC. Do you already have a reservation? Count on at least 10 hours via Sedona. You also will lose on hour on the way to GC and gain it on the way back in december.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 8
3. Re: Road trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon,please help!!!!

Since you are up there in Winchester, the fastest way is I-15 to I-40.

4. Re: Road trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon,please help!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 17, 2013