We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Brian Head Utah to South Rim of Grand Canyon

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
Driving from Brian Head Utah to South Rim of Grand Canyon

Hi,

I would like to drive on a rental car from Brian Head Resort to the South Rim of Grand Canyon during late December. Could someone give me some advice on the best and easy route? I read about potential road closure and heavy snow conditions. Do I need snow chain if I have a 4WD? Will there be people to help me put up chains when needed or I need to learn how to use them before hand. Many thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Driving from Brian Head Utah to South Rim of Grand Canyon

There's ut14 and ut 143 to drive to us89 and follow us89 all the way to Cameron and take az64 from there. But 143 prob will be closed in winter and that also can happen to 14. Your rentalcarcompany won't allow to put chains on their cars and I certainly would recommend and awd. Nobody will help you with the chains. An alternative can be to drive to Cedar City first, take I15 to exit 16 to Hurricane and ut59/az389 to Fredonia. Then drive via Kanab and Page to Grand Canyon on us89. If weather is good you also can take us89A via Jacob Lake but this road is higher in elevation (7000'' near Jacob Lake).

Tet

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
2. Re: Driving from Brian Head Utah to South Rim of Grand Canyon

Many thanks Tet14!

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 24
3. Re: Driving from Brian Head Utah to South Rim of Grand Canyon

Since Brianhead is a ski resort town they want people to be able to get there even in the snow. So they keep both 14 and 143 plowed regularly. At least going toward the I-15 that is. I think the roads are plowed even going toward 89, although I would check on that first. But, everything Tet said about chains is true and something to keep in mind.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 72
4. Re: Driving from Brian Head Utah to South Rim of Grand Canyon

The most direct route from Brian Head to Grand Canyon South Rim will be about a 6 hour drive (map ->: http://goo.gl/maps/iMYJX ). Maybe plan to stop over in Page/Lake Powell Arizona. Plenty of hotels in that town, but still suggest making a reservation as rooms typically get taken out of inventory for renovations, deep cleaning, etc. that time of year. Info re Page hotels ->: http://bit.ly/I6EIbc

As the rest of the gang have indicated though, your plans are going to be highly dependent on weather. Snow is a real possibility at that time of year, though experts are predicting a mild winter. In any case, before you set out for Arizona, check road conditions at www.az511.com

Edited: 5:12 pm, November 27, 2012
5. Re: Driving from Brian Head Utah to South Rim of Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, December 17, 2013