We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales
reviews: 26
San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

Have also posted this on the Road Trip and San Diego forums. After a lot of TA help, I've re-worked my itinerary for a 16 night trip in October 2013 to celebrate my other half's 65th birthday, just the two of us. Its a way off I know but I want to get it nailed down. Would really appreciate comments. We want the trip to be leisurely – not too much time spent driving, max 4/5 hours. There are some fixed dates, such as the Grand Canyon reservation and avoiding Las Vegas at the weekend, but could tweak our plans before booking the plane tickets, if necessary. So, here we go -

1. Arrive San Diego late on 22nd October. Staying in central condo for 5 nights. (Won't be doing SeaWorld or zoo, just soaking it up in the old town, trolley tour, Midway, Coronado.....)

2. On to Palm Springs on Sun 27th to lie in the sun for 5 nights and celebrate birthday. Take all day to get there via Julian, not sure of exact route yet.

3. Palm Springs – Prescott for one night on Fri 1 Nov. Should be a 4/5 hour drive I think, enough for one day.

4. Prescott to Sedona ,via Jerome , stay for 2 nights, Sat and Sun , so that we get one full day to explore and walk.

5. Early start for the eastern entrance of the Grand Canyon 4 November staying for Mon night – yes, its booked!!

6. Leave GC by mid-day to arrive Las Vegas before dark. 2 nights, Tues and Wed in LV so we have one full day there – no more driving!!

What do you think? Thanks for help.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

Great plans. Between San Diego take Sunshine Hw to Julian and drive via Anza Borrego and Palms to Pines hw to Palm Desert and to Palm Springs. With 5 days in PS I'd also make a daytrip to Joshua Tree NP.

We love Palm Springs and often stayed there for a week or so. PS to Prescott will be more of a 5 hours drive.

Go for it!

Tet

South Wales
2. Re: San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

Tet 14 thanks for reply. Would a quick stop at Joshua Tree be feasible on route to Prescott? 5 hours driving is about our max for one day. Would that be non-stop?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
3. Re: San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

Good plan.

Joshua Tree is not a quick stop. It's a big place and requires time. Dedicate a half day at least. It would be better to do it as a day trip during your 5 night Palm Springs window.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
4. Re: San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

Yes, at least 5 hours non stop. Fill your tank in Az, cheaper than in Ca.

South Wales
5. Re: San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

Just to clarify, would that be 5 hours via Highway 17 west of Phoenix or taking the mountain road (60) just after Quarttzsite?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
6. Re: San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

Via 60. Will be a detour via Phoenix. I17 is north of Phx. It's a beautiful drive towards Prescott from Congress and I would not call it a serious mountain drive although it has many curves for the last part.

7. Re: San Diego, Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 16, 2013