Have also posted this on the Road Trip and San Diego forums. After a lot of TA help, I've re-worked my itinerary for a 16 night trip in October 2013 to celebrate my other half's 65th birthday, just the two of us. Its a way off I know but I want to get it nailed down. Would really appreciate comments. We want the trip to be leisurely – not too much time spent driving, max 4/5 hours. There are some fixed dates, such as the Grand Canyon reservation and avoiding Las Vegas at the weekend, but could tweak our plans before booking the plane tickets, if necessary. So, here we go -
1. Arrive San Diego late on 22nd October. Staying in central condo for 5 nights. (Won't be doing SeaWorld or zoo, just soaking it up in the old town, trolley tour, Midway, Coronado.....)
2. On to Palm Springs on Sun 27th to lie in the sun for 5 nights and celebrate birthday. Take all day to get there via Julian, not sure of exact route yet.
3. Palm Springs – Prescott for one night on Fri 1 Nov. Should be a 4/5 hour drive I think, enough for one day.
5. Early start for the eastern entrance of the Grand Canyon 4 November staying for Mon night – yes, its booked!!
6. Leave GC by mid-day to arrive Las Vegas before dark. 2 nights, Tues and Wed in LV so we have one full day there – no more driving!!
What do you think? Thanks for help.