We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning week tour out west

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Statesville, North...
reviews: 19
Planning week tour out west

I have read 14 pages in this forum, and all the posts to the side. I originally thought we would stay 3 nites GCNP but now realize 1 nite and 2 full days should be plenty. I would like your expert help in planning my route. We will fly into Vegas and stay 1 nite then leave next morning. Do not plan to stop at Hoover Dam, been there, done that. Can plan 6-9 nites, will not be back again. Want to do all the major things that are possible in that time frame. Looking at going April or May and have already checked, there were in park rooms available, but I know I need to decide soon and book a certain date. So...HELP! Just a rough outline so I can look at a map and kinda plan it out. THANKS SO MUCH!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Planning week tour out west

With one night you won't have 2 full days. Suggest to stay 2 nights at the rim and make a reservation www.grandcanyonlodges.com You can make a loop Las Vegas-GC-Page-Bryce and Zion in 6 days. With 9 days you may also include Sedona and Monument Valley.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 82
2. Re: Planning week tour out west

Further to what Tet14 said, if you can manage 2 days at the Grand Canyon, that's better, but anyway, here's a map of the route he's proposing ->: http://bit.ly/xbi1Q1 It is in "reverse," doing LAS-Zion-Bryce-Lake Powell-GCN back to Las Vegas, but you can tailor it to whenever you manage to get lodging in the Grand Canyon. Plan to use 9 days and add Sedona - very well worth it.

Here's a video that describes the above route in more detail, including how many days to spend where, etc. (forward to the 1:40 mark to get right to the info re: starting/ending in Las Vegas) ->: grandcanyon.com/what-else-can-i-see-near-the…

Statesville, North...
3. Re: Planning week tour out west

I can't believe with all my research I had not found the site from K-Bot. The videos were great. Thanks for the replies. I am now thinking we should fly into PHX instead of LV so it will be easier to do Sedona. Does that sound better? Will def do 2 nites in GC. We could possibly do a 9 or 10 nite total trip as we will probably never come back. I really want to squeeze as much in which would include painted desert, petrified forest and all the others mentioned above.

Thanks for the route suggestions and keep them coming. You guys are the BEST!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
4. Re: Planning week tour out west

Phoenix is much closer to Sedona and the GCNP than LV. But when you start researching, compare flights and fares and also check car rental costs and fees. Then make the decision on your route plan.

I'd advise 2-3 nights at Sedona, 1-2 at GCNP, 2 nights at Page, 1 night at Monument Valley if you choose, (book at the Virw Hotel there) 1 night at Bryce and 2 nights at Springdale for Zion.

If this plan includes too many nights, think in terms of reducing destinations rather than time at each place. Better to have a trip that includes quality time at fewer places, than racing across the country just to touch all the bases.

Statesville, North...
5. Re: Planning week tour out west

RedRox..the flights and car rentals are not much different so is it a better route from PHX to all the places you recommend or to circle around from LV to all the sites. I get so confused when I look at a map, esp with so many parks and such.

Is there a site that will map out the best route to take in all the places you listed? I tried several different sites and they only map it in the order you type instead of BEST route. I really thought I had this figured out till I started looking at a map.

Your plan is 11 days, which we may be able to swing. The route planner had the last day coming from Springdale to PHX which is a 7 hour drive. Which, I guess we could do if we took a late flight out or spent another nite in Sedona. I'm sure we will need a vacation to rest after this trip.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone.

I am sure my questions have just begun...LOL!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
6. Re: Planning week tour out west

Zion and Bryce are closer to LV. Everything else is more accessible from PHX. If the plan is too long, I'd drop Zion and Bryce and maybe even Monument Valley. Sedona ,GCNP and Page are a full week.

On the other hand if Zion and Bryce are a must, then do them along with Page and GCNP. That will be slightly more than a full week. For a better perspective on that route, go to the Utah forum and read the sticky from OhioHick on Grand Circle trip planning.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque, Santa Fe
reviews: 132
7. Re: Planning week tour out west

Just to chime in, I've just visited most of these places for the first time this year. Absolutely wonderful!

DO heed the advice for quality time at each destination. Your trip will be richer for it. Also, since this will be your only trip to the area, definitely try to swing the maximum number of days. You won't regret it!

Keith

Edited: 3:42 pm, November 20, 2012
Statesville, North...
8. Re: Planning week tour out west

Thanks everyone. Didn't even think to go to Utah forum....duh! I do want quality time but dangit I want to see it all! Time for lots more research to decide the key places I want to visit and plan a budget. If lodging is not outrageous, we could probably do 10 - 11 nites.

Thanks!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
9. Re: Planning week tour out west

With 11 nights you can do Las Vegas (1)-Sedona (2)-GC(2)-Monument Valley (1)-Page (2)-Bryce(1)-Zion (2)-Las Vegas. Zion to Las Vegas only is 3 hours and you'll gain one hour for timedifference.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 27
10. Re: Planning week tour out west

I'd recommend 1 night Monument Valley, 2 at GCNP, 2/3 nights at Page/Kanab, and 2 nights in Zion Lodge or Springdale. Then Sedona if you have time.

Definately don't drop Monument Valley if you can help it!

Saguaro is also an awesome day trip if you're around Phoenix.

Edited: 4:32 am, November 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...