We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermits rest route - duration - type of terrain

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 2
Hermits rest route - duration - type of terrain

Hi

I am hoping to travel the hermits rest route next year(August), can anyone tell me how long on average it would take using the Hop-on Hop-off bus(including time for taking snaps at the view points). We will probably start early in the morning taking the bus straight to Hopi point for sunrise(6am), then continue out to Hermits rest using the bus, on the way back we will jump off at Powell point then walk back along the trail to Maricopa point - Trailview overlook – Kachina hotel (~3-4km from Powell point to hotel..I think). Walking from Powell point back along the trail, can you provide some info on the type of terrain, i.e. steep assents… strenuous walk or mainly flat easy hike...

Thanks for any information you can provide

Jamie

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 129
1. Re: Hermits rest route - duration - type of terrain

Expect to be back around lunch time. Don't over plan the stops and walks. Just go at a comfortable pace, keeping in mind that stops are limited on the return route.

As for terrain, you're on the rim of the canyon. There are gains and drops in elevation, but they are mild.

Personally, I'd avoid Hopi Point for sunrise or sunset. The crowds spoil it. Better just to walk along the rim (I prefer eastward) from the hotels and enjoy the time in more solitude.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
2. Re: Hermits rest route - duration - type of terrain

The trail is relatively flat. The Hermit's Rest Route is only 11 km long. Powell Point back to the lodges is about 2.2 km. The rim path in that area is paved. I would allow 3 hours for the total venture.

London, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Hermits rest route - duration - type of terrain

Thanks for the info, we'll have completed the desert view route the evening before catching the sunset along the way so i'd like to see the sunrise from hermits rest route(HRR). IF Hopi point can get too over crowded where's the next best place to see it along HRR, Mohave point?

thanks again

jamie

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 129
4. Re: Hermits rest route - duration - type of terrain

Just be on the rim. Don't fret about a specific spot.

5. Re: Hermits rest route - duration - type of terrain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, December 16, 2013