We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear?

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Homewood, Illinois
reviews: 22
what to wear?

The forecast calls for low 50s for highs and teens to 20s for lows. Would you suggest long johns, fleeces, AND a heavy coat? I know layering is the way to go, but don't want to wind up being a sherpa for my girls, either. We plan on spending our days outdoors. Feel silly asking this question, but we live in Chicago, and I've been chilled to the bone on thick 50 degree nights watching my girls' ball games and not as cold in the single digits. Thanks :))

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: what to wear?

The environment at the GCNP will be more arid than what your body is used to in Chicago. This could make the warmth of the day in sunshine feel more comfortable. But nights will be frigid. And since sunset and sunrise are favorite moments at the GC, you'll need to be prepared for the chill just after and before those time.

Yes, layers is the key. IMO the most important items though will be a hat, scarf and gloves for the cold times. Two lightweight layers should be sufficient for the nice days.

Homewood, Illinois
2. Re: what to wear?

Thank you! SO helpful, RedRox:)

Paris, France
3. Re: what to wear?

Layers is good advice. While hiking out of the canyon in Dec-Jan we sometimes wear only jeans and a tee shirt, until we stop to rest. Then it's time to put on a down coat.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 36
4. Re: what to wear?

I live at similar elevation/weather and days have been 50's and nights in high 20's. I haven't pulled out the heavy jacket yet, just a polar fleece jacket, long sleeve shirt and jeans. If we are going to be outside for awhile at night, I add on a vest or wind shell. Sunscreen is still very important and drinking plenty of water.

Have fun.

Homewood, Illinois
5. Re: what to wear?

Thank you Cacciato and Casa! Didn't think about sunscreen:)

6. Re: what to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, December 16, 2013