We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 1
Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

This will be our first visit to Arizona. How many days would we need to be able to visit Canyon and possibly other spots? Is there a great resort or Hotel that has waterslides? Going with my 11 year old son.

Thank you

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

There never is a bad time for GC but make your reservation at www.grandcanyonlodges.com I'm not familiar with waterslides in that area but it will be too cold for that anyway. Maybe try Phoenix or Tucson for that. Suggest to stay 2 nights at the rim. How long is your trip?

Tet

Vancouver
2. Re: Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

Hi Tet, thank you for the info. We can go for up to a week, but probably will only be in Arizona for 4-5 days. We are coming from Canada, so I think the closest airport for us is Phoenix. I do not want to drive the extra miles to the Canyon, so would like to see if there is a charter flight that flies closer to the Canyon. What do you think the temperature might be in late November?

Thanks again.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
3. Re: Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

There are no flights to the Grand Canyon Airport other than day trip charters mostly from Las Vegas. You're going to need a car at the park anyway.

Perhaps plan to stay a few nights in Sedona and a couple of nights at GCNP. Realize that your son is not going to be swimming and using water slides in November and December.

Vancouver
4. Re: Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

I was under the impression by viewing the temperatures that your weather is good there in November? A lot hotter than here. So you are saying that there will no pools open at all? We won't be spending 24hrs at the park, we would like to be able to have a pool for the evening. I was doing some research and it looks like there is a smaller airport closer the the park that flights fly into, is that not correct?

Thank you

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
5. Re: Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

Nights right now at the GCNP are below freezing and days top out in the 40-60s. The elevation is 7000 feet above sea level. There are no fancy resorts anywhere near the Grand Canyon NP. The airport at Tusayan is for charter flights only. No scheduled commercial flights. Flagstaff would be the next closest, about 90 minutes away, but virtually all flights from there require a plane change and transfer at Phoenix.

Sedona is a half way point between PHX and GCNP, about a 2 hour drive from each, it is a scenic destination with greater variety of hotels and resorts, but pools are closed now too. Sedona is 4500 feet above sea level.

Temps are warm in PHX at 1000 feet asl. You could swim there. But it's nowhere near the Grand Canyon.

Please take a few minutes and read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Your impressions of the GCNP are severely distorted. Planning a good trip requires understanding the reality of it all.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 74
6. Re: Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

@QUESTVancouver: I agree with RedRox, Tet14 and the gang, I think you might have been looking at Phoenix weather data when planning your trip to the Grand Canyon. Yes, Phoenix can be pleasant, even downright comfortable, during November and December, but the Grand Canyon is quite different. At 7,000' above sea level, we experience true winters, including snow. Even without the white stuff, it's usually cold.

As for airports with scheduled service that will get you closer to the Grand Canyon, there is Flagstaff Pulliam (FLG), 90 minutes from the South Rim or Page-Lake Powell Municipal (PGA), about 2.5 hours drive from Grand Canyon. In both cases you would have to fly into Phoenix and connect up from there. But, having been in the travel industry for 20+ years I can tell you that most visitors who used these commuter flights, if they had it to do again, would just "bite the bullet" and drive the extra miles from Phoenix or Las Vegas. After all was said and done, they didn't save much time and definitely didn't save any money. Video that explains this in more detail ->: grandcanyon.com/phoenix-arizona-or-las-vegas…

Long story short though, I wouldn't let the prospect of cold weather dissuade you AT ALL from visiting the park. You'll find it to be an entirely different experience than you'd have in the summer months, mostly in good ways. Hope that helps.

Edited: 6:09 pm, November 18, 2012
7. Re: Is Late Nov/Dec time okay for Visiting Canyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, December 16, 2013