We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information Meltdown

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales
reviews: 26
Information Meltdown

Have read so much I'm in overload. This morning I read a great post which described exactly what I wanted. Can I find it again - no way. Help please for most scenic route from Palm Springs to Grand Canyon South Rim . We are prepared to take 2/3 days for this journey, breaking it with an overnight stay in Sedona and one other stop if necessary in order to avoid too long a drive. Interested in the changing scenery, interesting towns, good food stops. Also posting this on the Grand Canyon forum.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
1. Re: Information Meltdown

The drive from PS to Sedona is anything but scenic. The good news is that it takes less than 6 hours. Just do it. That way you'll have more time for Sedona and the GCNP

South Wales
2. Re: Information Meltdown

Thanks RedRox - opinion seems to be divided on what constitutes a scenic route. Never having been to Arizona, I thought it would be interesting to stop off at Jerome, Wickenburg, Prescott......on way to Sedona (overnight) and Grand Canyon (overnight).

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
3. Re: Information Meltdown

Wickenburg, Prescott and Jerome are cool towns with significance in Arizona history. They are not about scenery. They are historic places. The attractions are in the art and the museums and the local lore. You can't see that by driving through. You'll need to stop there for longer visits. I spent most of yesterday in Jerome with a visiting friend. He stayed longer. We barely scratched the surface.

The scenic destinations are at Sedona and GCNP. And they are big enough that they need time too. Focus on the scenic spots. Get to Sedona and GCNP quickly. If you get bored, then take your time and go back via Jerome, Prescott and Wickenburg.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 57
4. Re: Information Meltdown

Both GCNP (make sure you are going to GCNP South Rim) and Sedona need more than an overnight if you plan to see anything.

There are a couple of scenic routes from Palm Springs, but not as interesting as you might want. One would take you through the Joshua Tree National Park but getting to Sedona would be much less direct.

The route through Wickenburg, Prescott and Jerome does not need extra days, but does need some caveats. It is very scenic. The 80 miles of Hwy 60 from I-10 is fairly desolate. Unless you are used to driving in very mountainous areas, about 20 miles north of Wickenburg the ascent into the mountains there may be somewhat scary as it is steep, lots of curves, switchbacks and dropoffs. The driver won't see the scenery.

RedRox advice though is best. Drive directly to Sedona. I-10 to Phoenix, Loop 101 around the city on the west, I-17 to Hwy 179 to Sedona. The drive up I-17 is very scenic. Dropping down to Jerome after ascending the moutains north of Prescott is also circuitous, steep, with lots of curves, switchbacks and dropoffs.

You need to book lodging at GCNP as soon as you know your dates. Do that online not through a travel agent.

grandcanyonlodges.com

Edited: 2:03 pm, November 17, 2012
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 42
5. Re: Information Meltdown

You have been given great advice on the drive in the Road Trip forum as well as here. The most important point raised here is to book your accommodations at the Grand Canyon as soon as you know the dates you will be there. You don't even have to know the exact dates; for the same booking deposit (one night cost) you can book 2 nights or 4 or 5. So you can bracket your tentative dates and cancel the unneeded ones later. There is no charge for cancellation when you book through the official Xanterra website, www.grandcanyonlodges.com.

You can read about the six lodges inside the national park and see photos. Two of them, Bright Angel Lodge and El Tovar, are historic lodges just steps away from the rim of the canyon. Many visitors enjoy the Bright Angel Rim cabins which are rustic but comfortable. El Tovar is one of the grand national park inns built across the American West back in the railroad days. in addition to these, there are two more lodges, more modern and less charming, right by th erim, Kachina and Thunderbird. And then there are two more, the newest and most "motel like" back away from the rim. (Maswik and Yavapai).

it sounds like your trip is in October/November 2013, so if you book soo you will have a good selection of rooms to choose from.

Maybe we can trade information, as well hope to get to Wales soon to enjoy your beautiful scenery.

South Wales
6. Re: Information Meltdown

Thanks very much for the tip about making multiple bookings at the Canyon - would never have occurred to me. Will do as advised here I think and motor straight through to Sedona in one day. Its a long journey by my standards but worth getting to Sedona quickly, stay for 2 nights and then onto the GC via the eastern entrance. I'm sure you'd like Wales - its very mountainous and also has a great coast-line ;interesting industrial heritage too - coal and slate mines. Rains a lot though - that's why I'm coming to Arizona!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 42
7. Re: Information Meltdown

It is a long drive if you go straight through to Sedona, but it is an easy drive on waide straight roads, at least until the last part where you turn off to Sedona. It is beautiful there and well worth getting there sooner so you have more time.

I hope my advice about "bracketing" your reservation at the Grand Canyon was clear. Only do this if you need to, to cover uncertainties as to dates. You can reserve four or five nights in a row with one deposit, but you need to do it as one reservation. They will charge you one night's room cost as a deposit, whether you reserve one nigh tor five. You can drop the extra nights later when you have your exact dates. If you make several separate reservations as alternatives, you would be charged a deposit for each separate one.

8. Re: Information Meltdown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 16, 2013