We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
541 posts
29 reviews
First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

My husband and I just booked tickets for flying round trip to Las Vegas Tuesday, November 27th to Tuesday, December 4th. We plan on renting a car and want to see the Grand Canyon. I have just started reading this forum.....anyone have any suggestions that will help me get started.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
44,934 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

First, try to book lodging at the GCNP. www.grandcanyonlodges.com

888-297-2757

Then read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Come back with specific questions if you have any. Tell us what you THINK you want to see and do at the GC.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
606 reviews
2. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

Definitely try to spend one or two nights at the GC, at an in-park lodge - and yeah, definitively go to the SOUTH Rim.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
58,463 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

Do you want to spend time in Las Vegas and for how long? There are more places to visit on a roundtrip like Sedona, Page and even Bryce and Zion NPs

Minnesota
Level Contributor
541 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

We will spend our first night in Las Vegas. I have booked our second and third nights at Kachina Lodge. Any other suggestions on "must see/do"?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,934 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

A great compliment to the GCNP is Sedona. Consider going there for a few nights after the GC.

www.visitsedona.com

…go.com/Travel/…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
58,463 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

You easily can spend a week by adding Page and Sedona to your GCNP visit. Page for Antelope Canyons, Lake Powell, Glen Canyon Dam, Horseshoe bend. There also are places to visit by boat or raft like Rainbow Bridge and the smooth Colorado Riverraft

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
58,463 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

And between Page and Sedona you'll find places like Cameron Trading Post, Wupatki NM, Painted desert, Sunset Crater Volcano NM and Walnut Canyon NM. Plus you can visit Flagstaff and see Museum of Northern Arizona and Lowells Observatory. There also is a very scenic route between Flagstaff and sedona via Oak Creek Canyon on az89A

Between Las Vegas and GC you'll find Hoover Dam, the new Colorado River Bridge and stretches of R66 between Kingman and Seligman via Hackberry and Peach Springs. East of Peach Springs are Grand Canyon caverns.

Tet

Minnesota
Level Contributor
541 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

Wow!!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I always use Trip Adviser forums to help plan our trips, and this one has been the most active/helpful one I have used.

White water rafting has always been on my bucket list. Any suggestions?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,934 posts
154 reviews
9. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

White water rafting will require more than the full week that you have available. The Grand Canyon is just too big and inaccessible for day trips.

There is one exception for a day trip out of Peach Springs. But the logistics require a commitment of more like three days for just a few hours on the river, in a much less scenic and exciting region of the GC.

The other factor is that your travel time in late Nov is after the traditional rafting season. It would be way too cold and miserable on the river. Even the smooth water trips at Glen Canyon in Page come to a halt at this time of year.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
58,463 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: First timers, and no idea where to start!!!!

They run through november. It's a smooth raft (no rapids) but still great.

https:/…