We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland, Or to Grand Canyon

Which Grand Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Portland, Or to Grand Canyon

Hi,

I'm planning road trip to Grand Canyon from Portland, OR. 2 reasons ; 1- it saves money ( air fare cost 500 min. per person & we've 4) ; 2 - I want enjoy my time.

I'll be leaving on 16th Nov 2012 and would like to back in Portalnd, OR by 22 nd Nov 2012.

I don't have any idea about route ( althouhg I have 3 routes each from different software Google Map, MapQuest, MS Road trip)

My questions -

1. What are the best routs especially in the Nov, are any road closures, due to snow?

2. Should I carry Gas Can with me? so I should not worry about long roads where no gas stations. I'm driving Sedan so not huge trunk space.

3. What Car tools I should keep with me?

4. Do I've to carry emergency kit?

5. Ok those were kiddy questions the bigeest one is what good thigs / Scenic views I can see during my drive?

6. How long shoudl I drive in single stretch is ti 500 miles / 600 miles / 800 miles ( single stretch meaning continious driving with 1-3 stops for food / pee etc. but not more than 3 stops)

dont just show me some wacky website b/c I can search my own, but I really like some expert openion who travelled on the road and have really really good exposure to this particular route.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
1. Re: Portland, Or to Grand Canyon

Try posting in the Road Trips forum since your questions really don't relate to the GCNP. Expect cold weather and possible winter conditions at the GCNP. Book your lodging there right now. Don't be surprised if park lodging is sold out.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Portland, Oregon
2. Re: Portland, Or to Grand Canyon

Thank you RedRox :)

You are awesome , I do posted my question on Road Trip forum thanks for that.

Question to you –

1. You said winter condition in GCNP, I’m planning to get some Helicopter ride, will it be possible? we’ll be visiting South Rim only and will be doing Rim drive. We’re not going to “skywalk”.

2. Do I need to bring snow tires / tire chain? Will there be snow all the way in GCNP? Meaning how bad or good driving conditions in South Rim drive from Canyon Village to Hermits rest (if I’m typing right name  )

3. Is there Gas station near Imax Theater or in that area? b/c I don’t want to drive dry? As no one will give me ride 

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
3. Re: Portland, Or to Grand Canyon

Helicopter over flights do fly, weather permitting. Morning flights are generally the best. If it's a must, prebook.

Snow tires and cans won't be needed around the GCNP. You might need them elsewhere on your route, depending on what it is. Active snow storms in northern AZ bring all traffic to a halt. Roads and highways will be closed during a storm. Don't even think of driving in those conditions. Roads will be cleared when the storm passes.

Plenty of gas options along the routes and outside the park in Tusayan.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 537
4. Re: Portland, Or to Grand Canyon

We did that drive three years ago after we'd run the Portland marathon - well, not to the GC, but back home, but that's roughly the same way till you'd head east on I-40 ... anyhow, the scenic route would be across the mountains past Crater Lake, Truckee/Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, and through Death Valley. The destinations through the mountains will obviously depend on the weather very much. That year there was a flurry of snow up at Crater Lake and it was around 30°, and that was early October - but that was also exceptional. But from a friend in Truckee I know they've seen a bit of snow come down already this year. Took us two full days of driving. I guess getting to the GC would be better in three days.

The safe and probably also fastest, but boring route would be down the Interstate to Barstow and east from there into AZ. Don't worry abut gas, there are enough gas stations along the way. Try to fill up before you get to CA or wait with filling 'er up till you're in Nevada or AZ again.

5. Re: Portland, Or to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 16, 2013