We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Bay/Gustavus sea kayaking - day trips

Quesnel, Canada
reviews: 19
Glacier Bay/Gustavus sea kayaking - day trips

We are on a two-month trip to Alaska, up via the inside passage and over to Whittier by ferry. Rest of the trip by road.

Gustavus--Coming in on the ferry, spending five nights (yielding 4 full days), first week July 2013.

Driving our 21-ft van-RV (FYI-I called Mt. Fairweather Golf Course to see if could park/dry camp there since there seems to be no RV Parks or related infrastructure.

The answer was "yes" for dry camping with use of restroom facilities--so that's something relatively new for folks wanting to bring their small RV's--there's a rear axle length limit for taking vehicles by ferry to Gustavus.)

Re: kayaking

Looking at three vendors--two for Pt Aldolpus and one is the concessionaire for Glacier Bay.

Favoring the Pt. Aldolpus location over Glacier Bay due to the sheer number of whales we understand are in that area--love watching them although never visited them at eye level before (came close on the Pacific Whale Foundation raft at Lahaina...)

These two vendors are twice the money of the concessionaire (Glacier Bay Sea Kayakers) but there are boat transfers involved and that costs money.

Pt Aldolpus [full day]

Spirit Walker Expeditions

Alaska Mountain Guides

or, Glacier Bay

Glacier Bay Sea Kayakers

Anyone familiar with these vendors and/or the paddles?

We'll do a boat cruise of Glacier Bay with the Lodge outfit-

That and the sea kayaking trip will take up two of our four days--

We figure on doing a kayak rental and paddle on our own in the Bartlett Cove area of Glacier Bay. So leaves one day to hike and have a look at the beaches--wander around Gustavus.

Anyone know about the parking situation at Bartlett Cove? Understand the Nat'l Park doesn't offer any day parking...we hope to drive back and forth rather than use the taxi.

Thanks!

Cheryl

1. Re: Glacier Bay/Gustavus sea kayaking - day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, April 30, 2013
Jackson, Michigan
reviews: 23
2. Re: Glacier Bay/Gustavus sea kayaking - day trips

We used the Glacier Bay Sea Kayakers when we stayed at the lodge for a few nights. It was our only rainy day of our two-week trip, but it was wonderful. Taking cuts to remote areas (the guide had to time those just right with the tides!), I don't think we saw a soul the whole 6 hours. Didn't see whales or porpoises either, but still a great day (and we've taken a multi-day kayak/camping trip every other year since - usually to the Pacific NW). Sorry I can't speak to the Pt. Adolpus tours though. I would imagine you could wait to book until closer to the time, talk to people on the ferries or wherever, see what you experiences you have along the way. You will have a fabulous time no matter what, Alaska is amazing.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 29
3. Re: Glacier Bay/Gustavus sea kayaking - day trips

You might see whales in Bartlett Cove when you are kayaking there........we did !

I would contact the folks at Glacier Bay Lodge to inquire about the parking situation.......as I recall it was very limited.....most visitors do not have their own vehicles......even the campground is walk-in only.......

4. Re: Glacier Bay/Gustavus sea kayaking - day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, May 03, 2014