We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?

Columbus, Ohio
Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?

Is it possible to ferry from Skagway to Glacier Bay, spend a night or two at the National Park lodge and then ferry on to Juneau?

16 replies to this topic
Issaquah, Washington
reviews: 10
11. Re: Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?

Are you flying to Juneau from Seattle on Alaska Airlines? If so, could you reverse your itinerary and do Skagway at the end? Fly Seattle to Gustavus, spend your first couple of days at GNP, then take the ferry to your next destination, ending up in Skagway. Return to Seattle from Juneau.

There isn't any difference in the fare if you fly open jaw (Seattle-Gustavus andJuneau-Seattle) as compared to RT Seattle-Juneau.

Vancouver, Canada
12. Re: Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?

I am also planning to go Skagway to Haines in early July. Will be coming from Whitehorse Yukon with a car. Could either leave the car in Skagway and ferry to Haines - do Glacier National Park - then ferry back to Skagway to get car and return to Whitehorse OR we could take car on ferry to Haines, do GNP, then drive north back into the Yukon. What is the scenery like on the drive from Haines to Kluane and then back to Whitehorse? Also another post said "avoid Glacier Bay on Tuesdays" Why? Cruise ships? What are the best ways to visit Glacier Bay by boat? Thanks Steve

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 28
13. Re: Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?

Welcome to the forum Steve.......

Scenery between Haines and Whitehorse is absolutely gorgeous........probable some of the best in your planned trip.......

Take the Alaska Marine Highway over to Haines with your car.......you can book a flight here in Haines to Gustavus (a short hop over the mountains).....that would be more direct and quicker than taking the ferry to Juneau and another ferry to Gustavus (Glacier Bay)......

Don't know why the avoid Glacier Bay on Tuesday thing is........the cruise ships do not stop at Glacier Bay, just cruise through........

There are many very nice B&B's in Gustavus or you could stay at the lodge at Glacier Bay which is very nice as well and the boat tour begins at the lodge..........You may even have a good chance of seeing whales on the tour, too........

Issaquah, Washington
reviews: 10
14. Re: Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?

Perhaps the message was to remind you that lots of people will arrive by ferry twice a week. If a load of people arrive on the Thursday ferry and leave on Saturday you can bet the Glacier Bay boat tour will be full on Friday, right? So if you have the ability to fly into Gustavus on Wednesday you could take the Thursday boat tour while the ferry is still in transit.

http://gustavus.com/

Here is a 2011 trip report from archwilk who flre Juneau-Gustavus then onto Haines where they rented a car for the scenic drive. It might have some helpful info for you ...

www.mytripjournal.com/insidepassage2011

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 12
15. Re: Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?

Personally I enjoyed staying in Skagway. Lots of historic sites and of course the trail if you are so incline. I guess I'm partial to Skagway as I lived and worked there for a summer with the National park service.

Anyway, people don't exclude Skagway on a few people's dislike.

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 32
16. Re: Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?

This thread was started over two years ago and should not even be open.

Reply to: Skagway to Glacier Bay NP to Juneau?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted