We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling east to west across glacier

Denver, CO
reviews: 3
travelling east to west across glacier

I am looking for advice regarding travelling the Going to the Sun road from the east side of Glacier. Will we still be able to see all the sights? What about pulling over, is it possible? I have our trip planned with this direction in mind, but if we will miss out on the very things we are going to Glacier for, then I will rearrange our itinerary. Thanks for any advice!

JC

nowhere
reviews: 10
1. Re: travelling east to west across glacier

Most of the pullouts that I'm remembering will be on the other side of the road. You can access them, but you'll have to dodge traffic. I'm remembering a couple that will be on your side, but they're both about half-way down on the west side.

You'll still have great views, and if you're worried about falling off the cliff, east-to-west is the way to go.

I've always preferred the other direction myself, but that's probably because it's the way I first saw Glacier.

montana
reviews: 33
2. Re: travelling east to west across glacier

Both directions are great. There are ample pullouts going either way. What's more important is that you allow enough flexibility in your schedule, if possible, to make the trip when the weather is nice. If it happens to be cloudy or rainy on the only day you can do it, you may be disappointed because up that high the views get blocked by the clouds.

Also, it can be tough going east to west late in the day because the sun will be in your eyes. If you start out nice and early you will miss some of the crowds. A late start to the day may mean no parking places left at Logan Pass, and that is a great place to stop for hikes, potty, nature center, gift shop, etc.

I always recommend traveling east to west for people who are skittish about the steep drop-offs and low guard walls that you will be next to if you drive west to east.

Whatever direction, enjoy your time!

nowhere
reviews: 10
3. Re: travelling east to west across glacier

Well, Riverdays, you're literally right, of course; there are pullouts on both sides. But that's not what I meant. Going east-to-west, the pullouts with the views will mostly be on the other side of the road, which means Dacarr will have to pull across the traffic, walk across the road, or suffer limited views from the pullouts on the non-view side of the road. Going west-to-east, most of the views are on the passenger's side, making the pullouts more convenient (and safe!) for seeing and photographing the best views.

4. Re: travelling east to west across glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 13, 2009