We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to acquire bear spray enroute?

texas
where to acquire bear spray enroute?

I'm flying into Calgary and heading straight down to Babb for a week of hiking. Can't take bear spray on plane so need to buy enroute (Hwy 2-S and US89) Any suggestions? needs to be a serious outfitter like Cabela's where selection is good.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
reviews: 1
1. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

In Montana almost everywhere sells bear spray the camp store in Many Glacier next to the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn has it price is about the same as most places. You can donate the can to the park service afterwards or mail it to yourself by ground ONLY.

montana slow hiker

Edited: 9:39 am, August 22, 2013
texas
2. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

Thanks, I won't worry about it then till I get to destination at Glacier.

Washington, DC
reviews: 6
3. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

I read on another thread here that the Glacier Guides & Montana Raft store (www.glacierguides.com) on Rt 2 sells bear spray much cheaper than anywhere else in the area. That's where I'm planning to buy it!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
reviews: 12
4. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

glacier Guides is located on the West side of the park. OP is entering on the east side. a two hour drive.

Orange County, CA
5. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

We bought our can at Montana Raft for $30 which includes holster - best price on west side of park. We purchased at same place 2 yrs ago and still can't beat the price.

Florida
reviews: 71
6. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

I am in GNP now & bought bear spray at the Apgar Visitor Center for $46.90. It wasn't on display I had to ask at the register & she had it under the counter. I would definitely pick it up cheaper outside the park but this was our option at that time.

Washington, DC
reviews: 6
7. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

Sears Motel in East Glacier has a sign out front saying they rent bear spray. I didn't go in to ask about price, but it seems like a good idea since many people only need it for a short time!

(We ended up buying bear spray at the Super One in Columbia Falls... about $30. No bear sightings except from the boat in Waterton, so we didn't use the spray at all and left them at the hostel in East Glacier at the end of our trip.)

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
reviews: 149
8. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

You can pretty much buy bear spray almost anywhere in the park/nearby. However, here is a great secret we learned on the Red Bus Tour - check with the concierges. They told us folks often leave their cans at their hotel desk for that exact reason. We scored a can for free the same day we were informed - just pay it forward :0)

9. Re: where to acquire bear spray enroute?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 05, 2014