We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving around Glacier national park & whitefish in October

Mountain Home, Idaho
Moving around Glacier national park & whitefish in October

I plan to take a train to Glacier National Park from Portland on 6 October and fly home from Glacier International airport on 10 Oct 12. I just realised that the lodges in the park will be closed and Going to the Sun road can only be accessed from the east to Logas Pass. I'm not sure which train stop (white fish, Essex, browning & cut bank) should I stop to get a rental car and lodging easily. I will need the rental car from the train station and also allow me to drop the car at the airport. Or I will need to find hotel/motel that can pick me up from train station and send me to airport. I can't find any day trip to Glacier National Park in October from Browning or Cut Bank as I understand that the high way from West Glacier to East Glacier park may be closed. I hope to explore Glacier National Park and whitefish and surrounding area. I need help planning for the trip with a tight budget and advise on places of interest that are still opened in October.

Boston, MA
reviews: 13
1. Re: Moving around Glacier national park & whitefish in October

Hi – if you travel by train, I’d recommend disembarking in Whitefish because it is a fairly good size town, with a good choice of lodging and you will be able to find a selection of rental car agencies. At this time of year, the smaller towns may or may not have open lodging and the chances of getting a rental car will be less. (Less choice, more money)

Having a car is essential for getting around. There are numerous nice motels, cabins and bed and breakfasts in the area; I generally rely on Trip Advisor for learning about places. My absolute favorite place to stay in the Whitefish area is Forty Acres Cabin Resort. However, once again, you will want a car.

Going to the Sun road in Glacier is subject to closure if early snows arrive or if the weather is otherwise bad. You should also check the park’s own website to check on road closures, construction work and other issues that might make getting around difficult. I’ve visited Glacier as late as the end of October and the road has been open all the way to East Glacier. Then, I’ve visited as early as the end of September and the road has been shut, it really depends upon weather conditions. Even if GTS is closed, you can still enjoy some of the park. You may also enjoy the drive from Whitefish across Rt. 2 to the tiny town of East Glacier. The views are spectacular and the road remains open year round, weather dependent. I also recommend the reservoir at Hungry Horse. There are many short (and long) trails offering easy walking for great views.

Whitefish is a pretty town with some good restaurants, interesting shops (some touristy, some not so much) and real natural beauty. You are also close to the larger town of Kalispell where the airport is located. If you want to wander a bit, try heading out Rt. 93 North of Whitefish heading toward the Canadian border.

Boston, MA
2. Re: Moving around Glacier national park & whitefish in October

I just wanted to add (having seen that Boston is listed as my hometown) that I grew up in Montana and although I live in the east, I get back to Montana at least once a year.

Mountain Home, Idaho
3. Re: Moving around Glacier national park & whitefish in October

Thank you, Shoya. Do you know where I can go near by to see the falls colour?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
4. Re: Moving around Glacier national park & whitefish in October

Whitefish Mountain Resort will have awesome fall color with all the larch trees. Downtown Kalispell has some beautiful maples which turn red. And of course Glacier Park. Also a drive to Big Fork and around Flathead Lake will yield pretty fall colors.

potomac, md
5. Re: Moving around Glacier national park & whitefish in October

Hertz has a pick up at the train station in Whitefish, and a drop off at the airport. If all goes well you should be at Whitefish at 7:25 AM. Check out the type writer behind the desk at the Hertz office.

Edited: 8:23 pm, September 18, 2012
6. Re: Moving around Glacier national park & whitefish in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 13, 2013