We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida city - everglades - safety concerns

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
52 reviews
Florida city - everglades - safety concerns

My partner and I are planning a trio next spring and I have booked one night as a stop over in Florida City as it. Is nearest top the Everglades National Park .

I have read reviews that tell you not to stop there as it is dangerous and you are likely to get the car broken into a stuff stolen.

Is this true I have paid for the hotel already but if it is that bad. I will lose the money , we are on a budget and can't afford Everglades City unfortunately .

Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
1. Re: Florida city - everglades - safety concerns

Which hotel in Florida City? Just take all of your belongings out of the car and keep in the room overnight. We've stayed in Florida City without a problem a couple years ago, but of course things change.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
9,227 posts
191 reviews
2. Re: Florida city - everglades - safety concerns

AhHah offers some excellent advice. If Florida City concerns you that much, perhaps a move a bit more to Homestead? There are several newish properties just off exit 2 on the Turnpike. You'd be wise to keep all valuables out of sight whenever you park your car.

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Florida city - everglades - safety concerns

Thanks for the advice - we are fairly streetwise and always take everything into our room - we are at the Ramada hotel - sometimes things written on TA are really useful and make you more aware - I will be honest with you I know it will be a lovely trip but certain aspects ie : the driving / tolls/ and crime rates are making me a little anxious which is strange as I lived in London for years and knew where to avoid and my current Town certainly has its dodgy bits !!!!

4. Re: Florida city - everglades - safety concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...