We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see the Everglades ?

Chipping Ongar...
reviews: 1
Best way to see the Everglades ?

Can someone tell me the best way to see the Everglades?

Is there somewhere to stay ? Or should we go on a guided tour etc.

Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks

Simon

Easton,Pa
reviews: 9
1. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

Go to Shark Valley and take one of the guided tours. We found it very informative and saw a lot of sharks of all ages. It takes about 4 hours to drive there but the drive is a beauty!!!

Knoxville
reviews: 7
2. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

I have no idea what itsme is talking about . . . No sharks at all at Shark Valley! TONS of alligators, but no sea life - it is definitely inland. The name, Shark Valley comes from the fossilized shark teeth that can be found there, from a time when the area was covered by shallow seas. Anyway, Shark Valley is a GREAT place to visit in order to see the Everglades. It's about an hour away from SV, but we LOVE Port of the Islands Resort for staying in the Everglades.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 78
3. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

Check the Everglades forum as suggested.

There are several options. Shark valley is one. You could also stay in Florida City, which is mainly budget motels, and drive into the park near there. There are trails such as Aningha to walk (tarmac and wooden boardwalk). Also boat trips from Flamingo.

I wouldn't bother with a guided tour as such (apart from at SV). Drive your self to one of the locations and take it from there. The NPS website is full of information.

http://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm

For a great place to stay consider Clyde Butcher's;

clydebutchersbigcypressgallery.com/reservati…

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
4. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

I would explore the area between Florida City and Flamingo as it is right on the way to Miami from the keys. Look at the national park website for info on hikes, ranger tours and boat tours. Pack a lunch as there isn't much in the park.

Chipping Ongar...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

Thanks. Looks like I have some homework to do!

As we have a limited timeframe in the area, I need to be clever and work out the best way to see as much as poss over a two day period.

Thanks or your input.

Simon

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
6. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

With limited time plan on a stop at Anhinga Trail on the way to or from the Keys. It's right on the way and you will avoid extra driving.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 62
7. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

The Anhinga Trail is a very good place to see masses of gators, birds and other wildlife. It is about a 20 minute drive off Highway 1 at the start of the drive down the Keys. If you want to do a short air boat ride, you can do one at the Alligator Farm which is before the Anhinga Trail on the same road and only about 10 mins off the main highway.

Easton,Pa
reviews: 9
8. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

Omg I meant alligators not sharks!!! Sorry...

Knoxville
reviews: 7
9. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

Haha, I figured!:)

10. Re: Best way to see the Everglades ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...