We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali Wilderness Tour

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kaukauna, WI
reviews: 5
Denali Wilderness Tour

We have a group of seven and are scheduled for an early afternoon Tundra Wilderness Tour in August. It appears from reading the posts we would have been better with the Shuttle Tour, however my elderly in-laws are going to be with us and we were concerned it would be too much on-off the bus for them and uncertainty of waiting, having a seat, etc. which would be a concern.

We were hoping we could get an early morning Tundra Wilderness Tour but it was booked up. Does anyone know if they reserve openings on early (or any) for those that show up at the last minute? In other words, is there any way we could exchange our early afternoon tour for an early morning tour once we got there?

Thanks for any guidance!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 35
1. Re: Denali Wilderness Tour

I think I should clear up some details - while you have the option of getting off a shuttle bus and catching a later one, you don't have to. They operate essentially the same as the tour buses - you get your ticket, you have your bus, and other than the potty stops, you don't have to get off the bus at all. The only difference is that the tour buses offer a boxed lunch and cost more - really. I hope that helps -sorry for any confusion caused by the discussions of shuttle bus vs. tour bus.

Newton, New Jersey
reviews: 115
2. Re: Denali Wilderness Tour

The tour bus stops every couple of hours and if you don't have to use the restrooms, you don't have to get off the bus. If you decide to take the shuttle bus be sure to take along plenty of water and food because there's none within the park. You surely won't starve to death, but you may get mighty hungry after 8 hours of sitting on a bus.

Minnesota City...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Denali Wilderness Tour

I went on the tundra wilderness tour, and I really enjoyed it. Yes, it is quite a lengthy tour, and yes, you are in a school bus. To be honest, I was very comfortable. BUT, it IS a schoolbus!!! Our guide was exceptionally knowlegable, and was more than happy to answer questions.

You get the opportunity for several rest stops along the way....and a box lunch was provided. I have read complaints about the lunchbox... but in my mind, it is what it is... a lunch box!!! Nothing fancy!

We saw Bears, caribou, moose, dahl sheep, all sorts of birds. Unfortunately we did NOT see Denali when we were on the tour... but from what I have heard, you can only see "the great one" about 30% of the time anyway!

I would definitely recommend the excursion... when I was there in June, the sun set sometime around midnite.... so I think the afternoon trip would would for you....

4. Re: Denali Wilderness Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...