We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savage River or Shuttle to Tolkat

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
reviews: 2
Savage River or Shuttle to Tolkat

We will be in Denali NP May 27-28. We're trying to make up our mind if its best to book the shuttle to Tolkat or just drive to the end of the paved road. Are there other places we should go in order to get a better view of Denali (if the weather cooperates)? We will be spending both nights in Healy.

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
1. Re: Savage River or Shuttle to Tolkat

I would book at least one shuttle as far as they are going during that time - if Toklat is the furthest, then I would go there. You can drive to the end of the paved road when you show up - what time will you arrive in the area?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
reviews: 129
2. Re: Savage River or Shuttle to Tolkat

As mentioned above; I'd do both. I'd drive to the end of the pavement, take a shuttle, and then do another drive to the end of the pavement.

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
3. Re: Savage River or Shuttle to Tolkat

Yes, book the shuttle to Toklat! Great time to be looking for wildlife when the road first opens to shuttles.

Either when you arrive or before you leave drive the 14 miles to Savage River loop trail parking lot. Look for moose at mile 9. Nice stroll there.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
4. Re: Savage River or Shuttle to Tolkat

Same advice. Definitely take the shuttle to Toklat one day. I did that the first day the shuttles starting operating one year (always May 20). Beautiful day, Mountain was out, you can even walk further than Toklat on the road if you want. Or get off the bus on the way back for some nice walking along the road or hiking. Great chance to see Dalls Sheep near Polychrome that early in the season.

There are several other places where you can see Mt. McKinley from but without knowing your itinerary, where else you will be and what is your mode of transport, it is impossible to answer!

5. Re: Savage River or Shuttle to Tolkat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 08, 2014