We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito net hat necessary?

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 39
mosquito net hat necessary?

Hi, my family is going to be staying in Denali 3 days (July 21-23). I do not mind using DEET (we have to use it in Virginia during the summer), but am wondering if it's necessary to have a mosquito net hat as well. Seems to me that it would be best to avoid a hat if possible, given the added expense and reduced visibility through the net. But I wanted to get advice on this from those better informed than I. Many thanks!

Whitehorse
reviews: 9
1. Re: mosquito net hat necessary?

I suggest you bring a hat/cap for sun protection and a cheap net that fits over it for occasional use;)

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
2. Re: mosquito net hat necessary?

Added expense? You can get one for about $2 at Wal Mart or most outdoor stores. If you go to Wonder Lake I would buy one. Otherwise it might not be needed. But I did find having one during my last trip really helped, and not just in Denali.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 16
3. Re: mosquito net hat necessary?

I agree with fti, it is one of those things that is so inexpensive and easy to carry that it is better to have it and not use it than not have it and wish you did. Just get a $2 net that goes over a ball cap, I get mine at Fred Meyer but Walmart also has them.

Sarasota, Florida
reviews: 74
4. Re: mosquito net hat necessary?

We were just there...the mosquitos are definitely around, but our DEET worked well. I sprayed a paper towel, or you can spray a scarf and stick that into your sweatshirt hood. The mosquito net hats look weird, but they work well. You won't need one if you have Deet unless you are really going to hike, and be in the areas near the lakes where most of the mosquitos hang out. We were fine without them just used the DEET at Wonder Lake. The park ranger at the Visitor's Center recommended using the net hats. Anywhere inland if you are driving, keep your car doors closed if you stop. We had a habit of stopping for pictures and keeping the car door open, and at least one would fly in each time! Good luck and have fun!

Cantwell, Alaska
reviews: 70
5. Re: mosquito net hat necessary?

Just got back from Wonder Lake/Kantishna yesterday. The mosquitoes were not nearly as bad as they usually are. People were wearing headnets though. I only used DEET and got bit a couple of times. Headnets are cheap and easy to pack so I would pack them. Weather could warm up a bit more and if it does, the skeeters will be back full force.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
reviews: 59
6. Re: mosquito net hat necessary?

I was at Wonder Lake today. Our green bus driver told us that Mosquitos have not been as bad this summer as previous summers. We did wear mosquito nets (the $2.00 ones from Walmart fishing department) we did not need the DEET. It varies day to day. We got lucky today. Better to be prepared and not need it than to need it and not have it!

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
7. Re: mosquito net hat necessary?

If there is any breeze at all at Wonder Lake then you're in luck!

8. Re: mosquito net hat necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, July 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...