We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle bus question

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
reviews: 23
Shuttle bus question

So I have been reading and following things but one thing I don't understand.

I should get reservations for the bus as it sells out ( got it )

I can get out of the shuttle bus at any point and hike and pick up another bus ( got it )

but wait if the bus is "Sold out" how do I get on the next bus ?

how long might I need to wait

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
21. Re: Shuttle bus question

I guess wolves are the animal of choice this month in Denali.

www.nps.gov/dena/spring-road-opening.htm

Scroll down for wildlife sighting info. Would be so fun to be there. But mile 60 is a LONG way from mile 30 where you can drive to!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
22. Re: Shuttle bus question

thanks for sharing the link John - sometimes I forget to look at that sight - I know, shame on me. Even know some of those folks in the photos! :)

I have been seeing more lynx than I ever have - it is the down cycle for the hares, so perhaps that is why. Very cool! :)

boston, Ma
reviews: 12
23. Re: Shuttle bus question

We have reservations for a 5:15 am shuttle to Wonder Lake. Do you recommend staying on the shuttle all the way to the lake then get off and hike around on the return trip? I know we can catch any shuttle bus, but they wont all be going to Wonder Lake, so if we want to get there we need to be sure to be on a bus heading all the way in right? So I'm thinking get all the way there, then on the return we can take our time and hike where we want to, since all busses will be going back to WAC?

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
24. Re: Shuttle bus question

Not sure what month you are going, but it must be the height of the summer season if it is a 5.15am bus. If the Mountain is out, definitely stay on the same bus to Wonder Lake. Then get off that bus on the return trip somewhere east of Eielson (i.e. closer to the entrance), since, as you said, you have more options for buses to get you back. Be sure to pick up a bus schedule at the WAC before you leave for the day. It helps in figuring out about when the buses will come along.

boston, Ma
reviews: 12
25. Re: Shuttle bus question

Yes we are going in July, we arrive in Anchorage July 19th, will be in Denali July 24-27. We have reservations for Riley Creek.

Thank you!!!

We can not wait to get there!

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 13
26. Re: Shuttle bus question

"but wait if the bus is "Sold out" how do I get on the next bus ? "

There is no guarantee you will get on the next passing bus. However, it usually doesn't take too long. A little known secret is that they start "sweeper" buses totally empty to return from Wonder Lake at certain times to make sure there are no major problems. It can be nice to get on those.

Springfield...
27. Re: Shuttle bus question

So,about Denali NP... I read that 40% of the space on a shuttle is pre-registrered...if I show up on the 10th and sign up to get a spot for the 11th what chance do I have of getting a spot (actually 4 spots?) And...how do the shuttle buses keep track of how much you've paid ie: how far into the park you can go if you are getting on and off

?

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
28. Re: Shuttle bus question

The drivers will look at tickets when you get on unless they already know you.

It depends when you are coming, peak season or shoulder season? More chances to get just what one wants walking in the WAC shoulder season.

29. Re: Shuttle bus question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:46 pm, July 09, 2013