We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
reviews: 283
Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

This is a wake up call. Kathy Billings,Superintendent of DVNP, has issued a very detailed position paper on the Saline Valley. All those interested should make sure they get a copy and comment!.

ZB

10 replies to this topic
LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
1. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

Part of me wants them to dynamite the roads in and make it accessible only by foot......

However, as long as they aren't paving the road or planning on widening it, that would be OK, too.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
2. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

They want toilets, supervision, removal of certain folks, rules and of course signs, possible removal uf the tubs etc.

ZB

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
3. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

Uh oh.

Paving is just one step behind toilets and signs.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
4. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

This is a critical time for Death Valley with the park studying how to change the public's access to the Saline Valley. It is so much more important than where to eat and sleep in Beatty, as it will ultimately spread to many wilder part of the park and probably other campgrounds. However, does this forum reach people who really care? Or is all everyone cares about is their own itinerary? Want this park around for your kids? Or maybe this crowd just wants to drive through?

ZB

Edited: 3:24 pm, January 26, 2014
Camp Sherman, Oregon
5. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

Hi there,

I'm really studying the issues right now as I will be there in less than three weeks. Where is this information posted? I'd like to be well informed to better respond to what you are getting at as I'm not sure of your take on this. I don't know Saline Valley very well as to me it's still part of the newer DV though I read quite a bit about it and want to make the drive up to the springs from 190 this trip

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
6. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

Please see :http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=kathy%20billings%20warm%20spring%20plan&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fparkplanning.nps.gov%2FshowFile.cfm%3FprojectID%3D39438%26MIMEType%3Dapplication%25252Fpdf%26filename%3DDEVA_alts_newsletter_final.pdf%26sfid%3

D0&ei=zrATU9i3D8a6yQGLloGQAQ&usg=AFQjCNFETSfQxhOXebDo4krqsdjaHfTFRw

You can also google Kathy Billings and Warm Springs Plan.

Take t look at Death Valley Talk website and also The Saline Valley Preservation site.

This is a most difficult issue in my mind. It is one thing to make things safe, another to begin to severely limit use of the park with concern for "the common good" most of whom never get off of the asphalt and are interested in seeing the park in a day. Then there are those who love the park, want to walk all over it, want to use it, but surely lightly and with respect and then the government, and the management of DVNP who are on their own page, and perhaps a difficult one, but honestly maybe not what those who love the place want to see.

ZB

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
7. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

Jes,

Saline Valley is gorgeous, rugged, and not to be missed. Road can be a bit dicey. Have fun!

ZB

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
8. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

ZB,

Saline Valley is a very special place but it's being loved to death. I don't believe it serves any purpose to promote it on this forum. For one thing, 99.9% of the readers here will never attempt to get there because of the condition of the roads and the fact that if they need a tow it will set them back about two grand.

When the national park took over the valley in 1994, many of us thought the park service would make immediate changes. I'm really surprised it took 20 years. We will have to see how this develops. If you read the emails from Major Tom and Oregon John at SPA, you will understand what the major issues are. I just don't think they need to be discussed on a major public forum like this one where virtually all the readers have no idea the area in question even exists.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
9. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

Here are links to help folks looking for more info on the Saline Valley-Warm Springs management plan.

nps.gov/deva/parknews/saline-prelim-alts.htm

parkplanning.nps.gov/parkHome.cfm…

We are approaching the centennial of the National Park Service. Until 1916, a collection of national park-worthy places was managed by various state or Federal agencies, including some by the Army (e.g. Yosemite & Yellowstone). This was no way to protect and preserve these unique, irreplaceable national (and eventually international) treasures. In 1911, in a bicameral and nonpartisan effort that could not happen in today's politics, bills were introduced to create one agency to manage America's crown jewels. The early sponsors were Rep. William Kent (I-CA), Rep. John Raker (D-CA), and Sen. Reed Smoot (R-UT). Perhaps not by chance, they represented the states most richly blessed with national park-worthy places. Kent, of Marin County, was a successful entrepreneur who gave some of his own land to the American people for a park. We can thank him for Muir Woods.

The law eventually passed is called the National Parks Organic Act of 1916. It is short, only about 4,000 words, but may be one of the most significant pieces of legislation ever passed into law. National parks were a totally new idea in the world, and many people have called them America's best idea ever. Other countries have since created national parks to save some of their natural and historic places forever.

This is the purpose of the NPS, as mandated by Congress: "The service thus established shall promote and regulate the use of the Federal areas known as national parks, monuments, and reservations hereinafter specified by such means and measures as conform to the fundamental purpose of the said parks, monuments, and reservations, which purpose is to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations."

I will reserve my own opinions on the management plan for now. Everyone has their personal feelings about what the NPS does, especially if the hot-button topics of environmental protection and public access seem to conflict, which they often do not. TBH, the NPS will not make everyone happy. I hope everyone will keep the purposes of the National Park System in mind whenever they form opinions about park management issues.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
10. Re: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan

I do not think most folks NOW will venture into Saline Valley. However, put in asphalt, toilets, and a campground and watch them come, or get lost there. Frissy makes good points and I understand. However, I am very glad I got to go to places like the Wonder Mine and Springs before safety considerations prevented me from walking there. These are human decisions made by humans employed by the government with guidelines that are universal. This is like trying to apply Chicago hand gun laws in Arizona. We will see but I for one am worried about increasing restrictions on the few. Cancel bike cross country excursions? Do not run a race on the road! Do we need to wear shirts, hats, and proper shoes and stay on the trail? Gates across the Racetrack to save it? Summer closures to make sure no one gets too hot? Yikes!

ZB

Reply to: Alternatives Newsletter- Saline Valley Warm Springs Plan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted