We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving with RV through Death Valley

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
reviews: 102
Driving with RV through Death Valley

We are currently in an RV park in Pahrump, NV and will be heading back to Canada on March 25th. We have from Friday, March 22 - Sunday March 25 and thought we would take a leisurly drive through the park.

We are towing a 30' 5th wheel RV. I have checked the Furnace Creek campground, but it is full during these dates. Are there other campgrounds available, or even places where we could park and overnight dry camping?

Also, is the Hwy 127 from Shoshone on and back into Nevada RV friendly?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
11. Re: Driving with RV through Death Valley

Check the highway conditions for snow before you go. We were just in southern Calif with our 30' 5th wheel and Freightliner and intended to return to Oregon on 395 but reports of snow, snow and more snow convinced us to find another route ;-)

On the blue link below, click on the first three links below "Live Traffic Cameras":

http://video.dot.ca.gov/

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
reviews: 102
12. Re: Driving with RV through Death Valley

Thanks everyone for all the info. We have now "been there, done that". We stayed 2 nights in the campground at Furnace Creek - running into a couple of other British Columbians there soaking up some last minute sun before heading home.

We stopped at Zabriskie Point for the view, drove to Badwater, drove the Artist Palette loop, saw the pupfish in Salt Creek, drove over to Stovepipe Wells, saw the Ubehebe Crater (where 3 girls on a Boston University spring break trip badly needed our facilities in the 5th wheel) and did the two tours of Scotty's Castle.

My husband golfed Furnace Creek, but I had got the stomach flu, so I slept while he golfed. We thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent there, and will probably do the remainder of the CA 190 and that section of the 395 when we head south next fall. I also think Death Valley may well become one of our home run stops for some last minute heat.

Appreciate all the help. And as for the roads - they were fantastic, Nothing to worry about at all.

13. Re: Driving with RV through Death Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 27, 2014