We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley Road Trip Advices

New York City, New...
Death Valley Road Trip Advices

Hi all,

I have a journey from Vegas -> Death Valley -> Sequoia -> Kings Canyon -> Yosemite -> San Francisco. Below are my questions. Most of them were about DV.

1) I have 10 days, is that too packed?

2) I'm renting a compact SUV. is that enough for Death Valley

3) I want to see the racetrack moving rocks. it seems like it'll take 3 hrs to get there from the entrance of DV, is that true? What other attractions in DV is a must go with breath taking views? Any suggestions on where to go?

4) I want to spend 1.5 day in DV. is it enough? I'm traveling from Vegas -> DV -> Sequoia, does that mean it's better for me to visit racetrack as day 2 and leave DV for a hotel around Sequoia?

5) Where's the best spot for sunset in DV. is racetrack a good place?

Thanks in advance

S.M.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Death Valley Road Trip Advices

Racetrack is indeed about a 3 hour drive from Furnace Creek. The last 25 miles or so are on a rough washboarded road where you will probably not be able to go more than 10-15 mph. I would not try it in a rental SUV. It will violate your contract and if you have a breakdown then it will be a very expensive tow (if you can even contact anyone to come get you - the area is remote and there is no cell service).

With only 1.5 days in the park, I would not waste my time driving to the Racetrack. There is so much more to see that does not involve driving on dirt roads or in the backcountry. Take a look at some of the suggested one day itineraries on the right of your screen to get an idea of what you might be interested in doing, and then we can help you plan an enjoyable visit.

There are many places in the park that are good for sunsets and star gazing (in fact, there is probably not any place that is actually "bad" for that). Where are you staying in the park? That will factor into the advice that people give you, since driving distances can be great.

-JimG

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
2. Re: Death Valley Road Trip Advices

I'm not sure that ten days is enough time, but it depends on your travel style and the time of year you're visiting.

For help with the overall itinerary, post on the California state forum page: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor… For help with lodging & activity ideas, read the Top Questions (upper right) on the city/destination page and then post on each forum.

Yosemite will be the most challenging to find lodging.

3. Re: Death Valley Road Trip Advices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 20, 2014