We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley return trip in Mid February

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 18
Death Valley return trip in Mid February

Visited the park couple of years ago and was able to see most the major places accessible to 2WD car. Planning to visit again for 4 days and this time would like to throw camping and hiking into the trip and skip he places visited before. Zabriskie's point, Scottys Castle, Badwater, Artists Drive, Devils Golf Course, Dante's view, Mesquite Dunes, Ubehebe crater.

Seeing below I can safely think, I can skip Furnace Creek area and interested in other wonders located in much more remote parts of the park. Thought about hiking Telescope peak but don't want to hike if Crampons and Ice axe is required.

More details.

Arriving Feb 14th. Noonish to 2PM

Leaving Feb 19th. Mid morning to noon.

Interested in

1. Quite Peaceful campsites (not the campgrounds)

2. 10 Miles day hikes round trip, manageable with some basic GPS and map skills.

3. ooohs and aahs sunset and sunrise. Closer to the camp better :-)

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 18
21. Re: Death Valley return trip in Mid February

Pretty much stayed away from the tourist spots, the park was crowded as usual since it was a holiday weekend.

1. Backpacked Panamint City

2. Backpacked Fall Canyon

3. A few day hikes: Panamint Dune, Race Track, Ubehebe crater.

4. Visited Scotty's castle, Bad Water, Artists drive.

We drove from Beatty, NV to Reno, NV stopped at a restaurant and looked into road conditions, they said severe weather warning on OR58 and some icy/snow warning for the entire CA-139/97. It was cold (Klamath Falls was at 9F). Took it easy on the icy patches (Drove at 35/40Mph). When we reached Or-58 there was some little blizzard and truckers putting chains on their trucks.

We pretty much used Tom Harrison maps for the roads and NG TI for the hikes. Also I planned all my hikes based on Steve Halls website and Mike Diggonet's book. Also do take a look at birdsandhike dot com. Excellent and accurate description of the trails with GPS way points.

Race Track camp ground (Home Stake) was crowded with tons of photographers.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 42
22. Re: Death Valley return trip in Mid February

Nothing terrible about TH maps, but NG is better. More detail, and most of them have additional visitor info where TH maps just have a blank side, great for taking notes.

I checked again on Easter Sunrise services, and still no info. I will try again in a week or two. In the past, there have been services at the Sand Dunes. There is a regular Sunday morning non-denom Christian service (fall thru spring only) at the Furnace Creek Ranch Date Palm Grove, a beautiful setting behind the fire station.

Beatty, Shoshone, and Pahrump have churches, but let's be honest, if you're someone who is fine with a non-denom service, wouldn't you rather worship in Death Valley? Duh. When I'm in DV I go to Beatty, but then I get to come back to Death Valley, where just being there is a form of worship :).

23. Re: Death Valley return trip in Mid February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 28, 2014