We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

New Brunswick, New...
Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

Hi travellers,

my husband and I will visit the parks of the west coast the last two weeks of December. We start and end our trip in Phoenix, and will drive with a rental car to Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Park, Las Vegas, Death Valley, LA, Phoenix. We are worried that the economy or smallest rental car will not be robust enough for the terrain - which we are not familiar with as Europeans. Is it worth paying the extra money for a 4x4 rental with (we assume) stronger tyres?

Any tips on food, lodging, guided tours, ... related to our above planned trip are also more than welcome!! Thanks!!!

So Cal
reviews: 62
1. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

I've driven my little economy cars through all those areas except Death Valley - which, co-incidentally, is the only one I'd be concerned about. The roads through all the other areas are paved and well-maintained. Death Valley, however...Hopefully Frisco or someone will be along with some info.

You're talking about this coming December?

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 344
2. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

You can see the types of cars you might get on the Web sites of rentalc are companies. No special car needed for these places, unless you get one so gutless it can't make it up long hills, but that's not special to these places. We prefer a full size car for comfort and safety, but I think a mid-size would be fine. And people with small cars do go to these parks.

All main roads in Death Valley are paved, and many rental agreements would prohbit you from going onto unpaved roads, anyway. So, no 4x4 for DV, IMHO (there is a company at Furance Creek that can rent jeeps for offorad use, while you're there; check the park's Web site).

Your main concern may be snow, such as at the GC. Many rental companies prohibit the use of tire chains. In some cases, one in a 4x4 might be allowed through an area where police are stopping people due to snow but if they require chains you would not be better off. Check with your rental company.

Edited: 2:21 pm, October 29, 2012
Camp Sherman, Oregon
3. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

Actually many if not most of DV's main attractions are on short, gravel maintained roads off of the paved roads. The key item here is "maintained" roads. I believe your rental vehicle is covered under that condition. Rental cars are on these types of "maintained" roads there all the time.

Also, you don't need a 4WD but I like sitting up higher. When we were in Rocky Mountain NP in August I did a Priceline bid with Hertz and got a Rav4 base 4WD for $43/day. Mileage was good and in my opinion more rugged than a sedan.

Good time to visit Death Valley, spend a lot of time there!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
4. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

How long do you plan to be in Death Valley, and what kinds of experiences are you interested in? For most visitors, a regular economy or midsized car is adequate, but if you want to spend a little more time and get into some of the moderately backcountry areas, a 4wd and/or high clearance is helpful, especially in December when there will be rain around the park and some snow at higher elevations.

There are some long, gradual grades where some people have trouble because they have no experience shifting gears and it doesn't come naturally; if you make full use of your transmission (whether automatic or manual) and shift down before beginning a long ascent, any car will be fine. (Ditto for long downgrades; shift down and let the reduced engine speed slow you down, rather than overheating your brakes).

The Jeep rental company is Farabee’s, at Furnace Creek Inn. Their Wranglers are fully outfitted for backcountry use, and with your rental they provide maps, trip ideas, and an ice chest. They start at $175 a day and rentals are by the day only, so you couldn’t get one for an extended camping trip. But it works for folks who don’t want the cost of renting a 4wd in Las Vegas when they only want it for short explorations in Death Valley—and unlike city rental companies, they put heavy-duty tires on the vehicles and expect you to go and play in the dirt.

Sutter & Jes are right, you won’t need a special vehicle to see many of the natural marvels and historic sites. The main roads through the park are all paved: Hwy 190 (a state highway), Badwater Road, Daylight Pass, Mud Canyon, Beatty Cutoff, North Highway (aka Castle Road), and Wildrose-Emigrant Road. Wildrose-Emigrant does have a 3-mile stretch that’s graded gravel, because it won’t stay paved; flashflooding and runoff from a spring kept tearing it up, and around 1987 the NPS stopped paving it and just maintains it regularly. Of the main entry roads, this is also the only one with a length limit, 25’ and under, because it is steep, narrow, and curvy in places. Otherwise, it’s fine for any car driven carefully. There are plans to rebuild it and reroute it to remedy the ongoing flooding issues, but that won’t get rid of the steep twisty parts.

Devil’s Golf Course, Natural Bridge, Mosaic Canyon, and Wildrose Charcoal Kilns are on graded gravel roads that are maintained often, because these are major visitor sites. Golden Canyon does not require a drive; you park just off Badwater Road and then walk into the canyon. Artist’s Drive (paved) and 20 Mule Team Canyon (hard dirt and clay) have 25’ length limits because of sharp dips; the top ¼ mile of Dante’s View Road has the same limit because it is steep with hairpin curves; there is parking for oversize vehicles just before that point. It sounds like you plan to rent a regular car, so size won’t be an issue. Ubehebe Crater is on a paved road. For graded gravel roads, take it easy mainly to prevent flat tires; you won’t be able to drive a car comfortably at any speed fast enough to harm the suspension.

Of all the backcountry trips that first-time visitors would be interested in, I think Titus Canyon is the most rewarding, a one-way (east to west only) trip of 26 miles in a double-ended canyon with scads of things to see: higher elevation plant life, colorful rock formations, a ghost town (founded on a mining scam), petroglyphs, a chance to see bighorn sheep if you go early in the morning, and sheer, narrow walls at the west end that show the power of flashfloods in the desert. It is not an extremely rigorous trip and there is plenty for everyone’s interests; however you cannot change your mind halfway in and go back. This should not usually be attempted in a regular car.

December is winter in Death Valley. Temperatures are generally fairly moderate, but it can rain quite a lot on the Valley floor and up to about 4500-5000’ in elevation. Above that, snow is possible. Some of the heaviest rain I have ever seen in California was in Death Valley, at Stovepipe Wells (sea level). Some of us TAs have been there when almost every secondary highway or spur road was closed because of rain damage, icy surface, or accumulated snow. I've seen enough accumulated snow on Wildrose Road to make 4wd necessary and narrow the useable surface to one vehicle width. These conditions are not typical, but they ARE possible, so before setting out for your day’s sightseeing, check with the Park Service at a visitor center or ranger station, or if you’re staying in park lodging, ask at your hotel desk.

Have fun! Death Valley is the most awesome place you can imagine, and if you can give yourself 2-3 days to enjoy it in this comfortable weather, you’ll never forget it! Browse through some of the recent threads and maybe they’ll give you some ideas about things to do. If you want more details or have some specific interests, we can help you.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
5. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

Our compact car last week was fine. Only once did we have to turn around and that was the last part of the road to Wildrose.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
6. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

Are you referring to the section of Emigrant-Wildrose that becomes gravel, or the side road to the campground and the Charcoal Kilns? I'm wondering because the main Emigrant-Wildrose Road is always maintained, and I have never seen it in a condition unfit for a passenger car. It's considered one of the main roads for people coming from the Los Angeles area or central California including the Bay Area, and the park gives it regular attention.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 344
7. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

From the park's Web site:

Most vehicle rental agreements restrict vehicles to paved roads. Check your contract and be aware that the rental company can charge you for damage to the vehicle outside of the contract agreement specifications.

Be sure that your rental vehicle has a good spare tire, that the tire is accessible and not "locked" into a keyed holder, and that the tools to change the tire, including jacks and wrenches, are in the vehicle and accessible.

Farabee's Jeep Rentals now have an outlet located in Furnace Creek. These jeeps are outfitted for rugged backcountry road use.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
8. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

That time of year I recommend to rent an awd car with adequate tires (M&S) GC is 7000' and Bryce 8000' and both subject to snow. Never rent a car with only RWD. If you can't get an awd have a car with FWD. Good tires are very important.

9. Re: Type of (rental) car needed for visiting DV & Canyons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 19, 2013