We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roll Call Death Valley

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Roll Call Death Valley

Ok, I have to do this. Who will be in DV the last week in March 2013? 3/24-3/31

Frisco, Dez, Super, Pacific? Anyone?

Anyway, we will be there for the whole week at FC camp ground. My younger sister(I have three!) and my mother will be there also. They are staying at the ranch in the one level deluxe units by the pool. They both stayed at the newer two story units in 93 and 98. I know my mother, who has just turned 87, would prefer Stove Pipe Wells as she likes the quiet, private areas. But they are looking forward to coming over to our camp site for great dinners! She is the one that started my obsession with DV with our annual camping trips camping at Texas Spring starting in 1966. Some trips we actually caravanned with other families, driving the whole way from Portland without staying a night anywhere along route!

It's possible one of my other sisters and her guy(both extreme major Seattle Huskie people...booo, (go Ducks!) might come for a couple of nights.

Anyway, would be fun to meet other like minded people TA people while we are there. Mind you, I am really active there! Go, go go! And Super, please bring some Russian River Pinot!

Okay, enough fun. Just looking forward to another wonderful trip. This year has seen many extremely satisfying, high points for us on our travels(Death Valley, Oregon Coast, Central Oregon) and this will continue it.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
1. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

What a great time of year to visit! I'm so envious. Will you be posting lots of reports?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
2. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

The last week or two in March( I have not seen a schedule yet) I am usually in Vegas for some events, and always try to do a trip to Zion, but I could probably add DV too.Its on the way!

TA meetups are pretty fun. The Utah and AZ TA regulars have regular events. Locations have been Bluff UT,Torrey UT,Moab in a few weeks, Palm Springs...

Hope to see you there.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
3. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

I'll have to wait and confirm my schedule for that week. It might be spring break time, but I haven't figured it out yet (more variables than usual).

If I can get there, it would be great to meet other enthusiasts! Tet, Zabby, JimG, Places, and some others might be too far away to make the trip. But it would be fun with whoever shows up.

:-)

Camp Sherman, Oregon
4. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

Thank you all for all your nice replies.

Pacific, sure I'll post reports while I'm there as long as I have a ipad by then as my iphone is too small for my fingers to do them well.

Dez, always love your photos. Sounds like Zion is nice in March. We are planning a trip there and Bryce with friends sometime. We'll be easy to spot, white older Tundra with small trailer at FC!

Frisco, yes my wife never knows either with her schedule at her ESD but this year her two weeks off were pushed forward one week.

Would be great to see all the others. I'll cook you all a good meal at our site. Anyone like oysters grilled in the shell and grilled portobellos? Have to talk to my wife first!

Campsite reservations are starting to heat up now.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

Just got my 2013 schedule today. I'll be in Vegas the weekend of March 24. Maybe a DV get together is a possibility. We will look like a team, with two old white Tundras!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
reviews: 294
6. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

Thanks Frissy for your heads up. I too have so many things up in the air that week, but who knows now. I surely also would love to meet all of you.

ZB

Camp Sherman, Oregon
7. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

Hi all,

I have been wanting to do some posting when I get out of the hospital in a couple of days and share a very scary experience I have just had with a carotid artery dissection.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

Wow, hope you are ok and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
9. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

I had been admitted to the hospital on Saturday with a carotid artery dissection.

Got back home yesterday. Last week was very strange with intense head aches, going into my left eye I thought were symptoms of being sick which I wasn't. Later in the week reduced taste of food and a bout of double vision on Friday, then Saturday doctor noticing much more than normal my left drooping top eye lid and very small pupil in that left eye. This has returned to my normal slightly drooping left eye lid and normal pupil.

Admitted on Saturday. . I have for decades felt a weakness in my left eye and left face to some degree. When I got the c scan it showed a reduction in blood flow in that artery of 50%. Recently I have been having worse than normal headaches.

What caused this might have been old injuries from falls throughout my life from trees, off roofs, etc., therapy neck adjustments and over extension from physical therapies or? I have a history of nerve compression in the neck and spine with spurs and wedges and osteoarthritis. I have been using at home on and off a neck traction device and neck exercises which might have compounded problems or caused them. No one knows for sure. No more neck stretching for me! Kinda scary to think certain neck exercises, adjustments or stretches could worsen or cause such a serious condition since the chance of serious stroke with permanent brain damage is one in three. This has certainly caused a commotion with wife, kids, family and friends. My wife wouldn't sleep in our bed the four nights I was away.

So now I am on Warfarin for six months with follow up MRI, along with visits with the neurologist and vascular surgeon. No surgery. The prognosis is very good. The C scan showed no brain damage, clean "as a whistle" arteries, no plaque, etc. Blood pressure back to normal.

Now my wife won't let me go to the cabin on my own where I like to chop wood in the dark for my freezing, late night fires!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
10. Re: Roll Call Death Valley

We all wish you well and hope you're back in the best of health soon.

Death Valley is patient and will be waiting whenever you're ready to go back :)