We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

View the Eclipse May 20th- Dante's View

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
reviews: 338
View the Eclipse May 20th- Dante's View

From DVNHA:

"Death Valley National Park to hold Eclipse Viewing

The first annular eclipse seen in the United States in 18 years will be visible on May 20, 2012. Death Valley National Park Rangers will be offering prime time viewing from Dante's View from 5:30-7:30 pm. Because the Sun won't be completely blocked, it is essential for viewers to use special solar glasses or other protection to view this event. Glasses will be available for purchase at our Furnace Creek Visitor Center bookstore. Rangers will be available to assist park visitors in seeing the eclipse through special telescopes and solar glasses from this premier vantage point.

Astronomers like Dr. Tyler Nordgren, who is also a National Park Service volunteer, call this eclipse "annular." At its peak, the eclipse will resemble a bulls-eye, with a thin ring of the sun visible around the Moon. In order for us to view a total eclipse, which blocks out the sun completely and casts a large shadow upon Earth, the Moon would need to be closer to Earth..."

ZB

Camp Sherman, Oregon
1. Re: View the Eclipse May 20th- Dante's View

Ok I'll meet you there. I'll have to fly down this time. Better get working on that room reservation.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
2. Re: View the Eclipse May 20th- Dante's View

Look for the fellow with the beautiful blonde in tow.

ZB

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 42
3. Re: View the Eclipse May 20th- Dante's View

About 15 years ago, I was in DV for a total solar aclipse on a summer afternoon. I think it was July; I do remember it was very hot. Since I was working for the park, I could go to places that weren't public, and that day I went to a historic site I had been monitoring for the Resource Management Division. I'll just say it was in the Funeral range.

I took some notes and pictures, then it was time for the eclipse. I had brought the primitive pinhole projector we're always counseled to use for solar eclipses, and I "watched" it for awhile. Then I saw a most unusual sight. Right in front of me, 75-100 feet away, a coyote was trotting down from higher up, with a drumstick in its mouth. It was big enough to be from a bighorn sheep, and I could see from the shape that it was a foreleg. The shoulder stump was fresh and bright, so it hadn't been dead long. I doubt a coyote by itself could take a grown bighorn, and I hadn't heard any sounds of a nearby hunt or struggle. So maybe the coyote found it, and the drumstick was the right size to "carrion" on his own (sorry, I couldn't resist). The coyote looked toward me but never changed pace, and didn't seem either fearful or belligerent.

Unfortunately, I had stowed my camera in my pack and had no chance to get a picture. I tried to see where it went but lost it, and I backtracked it for awhile but found no remains.

That was one of my most special experiences ever in Death Valley. :)

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
4. Re: View the Eclipse May 20th- Dante's View

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

ZB

5. Re: View the Eclipse May 20th- Dante's View

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, June 21, 2013