We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DV accommodation are fully booked. Where else I can stay?

Fremont, California
DV accommodation are fully booked. Where else I can stay?

Hi,

I am planning a last minute DV trip for this coming thanksgiving. All inside DV accommodation are fully booked. Can anyone suggest me where else I can stay to be close to DV?. I am planing 2 nights stay. I am driving from San Francisco. I am also on budget..I will be nice to spend less than $100 a night.

Another question...Do I need a SUV rental car, if I plan to stay mostly on the paved road.

" Thanks "

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 47
1. Re: DV accommodation are fully booked. Where else I can stay?

Hello, Tammy, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Death Valley forum.

The closest location to a lot of the park's sights is Pahrump, Nevada which is east of Death Valley NP. There's a few lodgings in town there. Supermarkets in town and a WalMart.

Beatty, Nevada would be another choice northeast of Death Valley NP. Modest accommodations at the few motels there, and even more modest dining. Nothing fancy. Generally reasonable prices to be had there.

Failing these two, try Ridgecrest, California west of Death Valley National Park. A wider selection of lodging and restaurants, and supermarkets and Walmart are present. A suburban city in the Indian Wells Valley.

Baker, California to the south of Death Valley NP would be another option, but the lodgings and restaurants are few and get much more business from the Las Vegas traffic it lives off of. . . and is not a place one usually stays at when visiting Death Valley.

It's hard to find accommodations this close to Thanksgiving Day, but these are the best options for you save going to Las Vegas, Nevada, which is an obvious place to stay.

On your second question: your standard automobile should be fine provided you stay on the paved roads in the park. Graded roads with no posted restrictions are fine also. Anything else that is not maintained or is rocky or sandy or is posted with restrictions. . . beware! Don't risk it, even if it looks OK to your city eyes.

Do carry a good supply of water with you, as well as room temperature foodstuffs such as trail mix, energy bars, etc. I personally carry a flat of 24 water bottles with me wherever I go in the desert. . . and that includes the suburbia I am in during the week. Just because it's approaching Winter doesn't mean you don't perspire. It's dry arid sunshine here, and you will need water to replenish yourself with.

Hope this helps. Please post again if you need any clarifications or further information.

Menifee, California
reviews: 32
2. Re: DV accommodation are fully booked. Where else I can stay?

Underdog has given you good advice. Coming from the direction you are, you could also consider Lone Pine, or Ridgecrest, as he mentions. In Lone Pine You might try:

Dow Villa: http://dowvillamotel.com/ Rooms in the main building are cheaper than the motel rooms.

Comfort Inn: www.comfortinn.com. Website is showing availability at the moment.

Best Western: www.bestwestern.com. Best Western Frontier Motel is showing availability at the moment, but only for rooms with just one bed.

There are smaller places in town, but these are places that I have stayed at.

Edited: 4:08 pm, November 19, 2011
3. Re: DV accommodation are fully booked. Where else I can stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 04, 2012