We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DV trip - which route?

tokyo
DV trip - which route?

You start looking at the maps and dreaming and you never get anywhere!!! LOL!! Still, its such fun!!

Anyway, here's my latest 3 versions for our 9 day trip. Comments, preference, suggestions on which route and why much appreciated!! Bear in mind we will be going early October.

Route 1:

Day 1: LAX to Palm Springs (or there abouts)

Day 2: Joshua Tree NP

Day 3: Drive from JT to DV via Mojave NP

Day 4-6 DV

Day 7: Drive from DV to Isabella Lake

Day 8: Drive from Isabella Lake to Pismo (or there abouts) on the coast

Day 9: Drive from Pismo along r.101 back to LAX

Total distance: c.1,700km

Route 2:

Day 1: LAX to somewhere north on the coast (Please recommend nice places to stay - but no more than 2 hours drive as we will have just come off a 10 hour flight and will be exhausted and jet-lagged).

Day 2: Drive up the coast then swing inland onto r.41. Spend the night in the farmland area, maybe somewhere south of Fresno (again recommendations of nice places to say would be welcome).

Day 3: Drive to Yosemite NP

Day 4: Yosemite NP

Day 5: Drive from Yosemite NP to DV via r.120

Day 6-8: DV

Day 9: Drive from DV back to LAX via Mojave NP

Total distance: c.1,900km

Route 3:

Day 1: LAX to r.5. Spend the night somewhere around Frazier Park? (Recommendations, please!)

Day 2: Drive from there to south end of Yosemite NP via r.5/r.99

Day 3-4: Yosemite NP

Day 5: Drive from Yosemite NP to DV via r.120

Day 6-8: DV

Day 9: Drive from DV back to LAX via Mojave NP

Total distance: 1,600km

tokyo
21. Re: DV trip - which route?

Apologies for losing my rag, Tet, especially when I know you were just trying to help!

You might want to take a look at "Another question for Frisco" post on one possible route.

Your route also sounded great, but we really want to try and get a balance between covering plenty but not just making it solely a "driving" trip (we want to also get as much hiking in as possible).

Also, for the route that I've tentatively chosen, Bakersfield is actually closer than LA, allowing us take it a bit easier on the last day.

Anyway,I promise to write up a full report when we get back - including whether Bakersfield was a mistake or not!! LOL!!

Happy Travels to both of you!

22. Re: DV trip - which route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 30, 2009