We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake/Lassen, or Coastal Oregon/CA in late June?

California
reviews: 72
Crater Lake/Lassen, or Coastal Oregon/CA in late June?

Hi. I am planning to travel from WA to northern CA in late June and trying to decide between two different routes: inland via Mount Hood-Bend-Crater Lake NP-Lassen Volcanic NP, or along the Oregon and CA coast via Highway 101 for coastal scenery. I live in the San Francisco area and have seen plenty of redwoods. Which route should I take for late June (6/23-25)? Will Crater Lake NP still be icy and snowy - and likewise for Lassen Volcanic NP?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 43
1. Re: Crater Lake/Lassen, or Coastal Oregon/CA in late June?

Never can tell when n entrance to Crater Lake will be open. We were there June 18 or so this past year and it was opened that day. so your dates might work there. and maybe not. Can't remember Lassen but think it opens sooner than n entr Crater Lake.

May still be some closures on C Oreg Cascades, but much will be open, then Oreg coast for sure will be open

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
2. Re: Crater Lake/Lassen, or Coastal Oregon/CA in late June?

The coast will still most likely have rain, whereas your inland route *might* have snow, but probably not other than the very high elevations such as Crater Lake itself. High desert weather is often very pleasant in June - at least it has been the numerous times I've been over there! You could still visit CL using the south entrance although it's not as convenient.

Redwoods are only a small part of the coast but if you are familiar with the N Calif coastline you might like the different scenery of the mountains and high desert. The gorge is unique and interesting, and the Bend area has some great natural attractions.

______

Edit:

This is a handy webcam for Crater Lake. Looks like snow today :-)

craterlakelodges.com/press-room-247056252-81…

Edited: 3:37 pm, February 05, 2013
California
reviews: 72
3. Re: Crater Lake/Lassen, or Coastal Oregon/CA in late June?

Thank you. Inland route it will be then!

4. Re: Crater Lake/Lassen, or Coastal Oregon/CA in late June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, February 20, 2014