We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any chance of North Entrance being open by June 20th?

Genesee, CO
reviews: 44
Any chance of North Entrance being open by June 20th?

Website says:

Hwy 62 through the park and the road to park headquarters are OPEN. The road to Rim Village and lake viewing is OPEN. West Rim Drive is OPEN to Discovery Point. North Entrance Road and the remainder of Rim Drive are still CLOSED due to falling rocks and deep snow. Please phone ahead for the latest road status and weather conditions (541)594-3000. Roads can be icy and snowy any time of year. Please use caution!

We are coming in from Roseburg on 20th of June, and originally thought the north entrance would probably be open, but not looking that way.

I will have phone number with me to call and check on north entrance opening while on the road, but I am assuming we can still go 138 East to Diamond Lake and then 230 Southwards and then pick up 62 into the West entrance without running into closed roads?

McMinnville, Oregon
reviews: 6
1. Re: Any chance of North Entrance being open by June 20th?

I hate to disappoint you, but, no, I am virtually positive it won't be open. Here's an update from the Klamath Falls newspaper, the Herald and News from a couple days ago:

"Many Crater Lake services open, despite snow

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:23 PM PDT

5 p.m., Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Persistent snow means some roads and all trails are closed at Crater Lake National Park, but visitors will find many concession services open.

As of Tuesday morning the snowpack at park headquarters was 55 inches, well above the 37 inches normal for this time of year. The park received nearly 600 inches of snow during the winter, about 40 more than usual.

Park visitors will find Rim Drive closed past Discovery Point as crews work to open the road to the North Entrance. In Rim Village, the café and gift shop, Crater Lake Lodge and visitor center are open, but the Sinnott Memorial Museum is closed. At Mazama Village, the Mazama Motor Inn, village store, gas station and Annie Creek Restaurant-Gift Shop are open. The Mazama campground is scheduled to open Friday.

The Mount Scott, Annie Creek Canyon, Castle Crest, Cleetwood Cove, Godfrey Glen, Garfield Peak, Lady of the Woods, Watchman Peak and Crater Peak trails are closed because of snow ranging from 1 to 6 feet."

Pretty much all of the state highways will be open, and I don't think any of them in that area have very much snow left. Crater Lake does because it's at such a high elevation. The rim is about 7000 ft above sea level, the top of Mt. Scott (mountain in the park) is 8000, and the rest of the park varies from probably around 4500 up to 7000.

To check the roads in Oregon, go to www.tripcheck.com

This is the Oregon Department of transportation's website and is very good. I hope you have a wonderful trip! Crater Lake is beautiful!

Genesee, CO
2. Re: Any chance of North Entrance being open by June 20th?

Thanks for the update. I am sure we will enjoy the beauty even if most of rim drive is closed still.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 14
3. Re: Any chance of North Entrance being open by June 20th?

I was just there last week, Wednesday, June 4. We stayed at Steamboat Inn which is on 138 about half way between Roseburg & Diamond Lake (you may want to consider staying there - although it's a bit pricey, it's VERY nice. I just posted a review & pictures!)

We did the exact way you mentioned - 138 east to 230 south to 62 into the park. All of the roads were opened & even though it was snowing a little while we were driving in, the roads were still fine.

Once in the park, all the roads & parking lots that are open are clear. Just be aware though that it's still really cold up there & there is 5-6 feet of snow in some places still on the ground. But, we were able to walk to the viewing area of the lake. It's absolutely beautiful! We thought it was even more snow b/c of the contrast with the snow, than if you would go up there later in the summer when there wasn't as much snow.

Genesee, CO
4. Re: Any chance of North Entrance being open by June 20th?

Thanks for that info! Unfortunately, we are having to do a pretty tight budget this trip. So it is like cheap all the way for accomodations, but the steamboat inn does sound nice!

5. Re: Any chance of North Entrance being open by June 20th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 01, 2009