We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Channel Islands with 2 years old?

Tampa
Channel Islands with 2 years old?

Do you think it's a good idea to take 2 years old to a trip to the Islands?

If yes - what island would you recommend? Obviously we will not hike a lot.

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
reviews: 15
1. Re: Channel Islands with 2 years old?

Santa Cruz Island would be the place to take a 2 year old. There is a visitors center there. Keep in mind the beach is rocky - not sandy. I think you will be ok with a 2 year old. I wouldn't recommend camping there with a toddler though.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
2. Re: Channel Islands with 2 years old?

With a 2 Y/!O I would Just go to the Channel Islands visitors center in Ventura instead.

There are mini tide pools, short films, and kids activities.

Dr. Z

Hudson Valley
reviews: 1
3. Re: Channel Islands with 2 years old?

This is an older thread, but thought I'd respond since we've camped and hiked on Santa Cruz with a ~ 2.5 year old. I think it all depends on your kid and what you're used to doing. We do a lot of hiking and camping, so it wasn't a big deal for us. Our daughter loved the boat ride, the small beach, hiking, etc. We also spent two days there - so weren't on the boat half the day. If your kiddo is really active and likes to move, doing a day trip with that much time on the boat might be a lot. On the other hand, the fresh air and rocking motion pretty much put our daughter to sleep on the boat ride out there.

Dr. Z has a good alternative with the visitor's center as well.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
4. Re: Channel Islands with 2 years old?

Pudgy -

Glad you had a good time there. It sounds like your little one did pretty well with the trip.

Dr. Z

Hudson Valley
reviews: 1
5. Re: Channel Islands with 2 years old?

Thanks Dr. Z. We loved it there! I imagine we'll be back some day - would like to visit the other islands (and go back when our daughter will actually remember it, lol).

6. Re: Channel Islands with 2 years old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, September 15, 2014