We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching question

Texas
reviews: 43
Whale watching question

I'm starting to plan a trip to San Diego followed by a day or two in Los Angeles and ending with a night in Ventura or Oxnard. It's myself and my 12 year old daughter and I'm only in the beginning stages of planning so I appreciate any input. We want to take a whale watching trip to the Channel Islands. I'm trying to decide whether to visit in early March (her spring break) or July. Island Packers has gray whale watching tours in Dec-April and they have blue and humpback whale watching in the summer. Any input on which is a more interesting tour or the better time to visit this area?

Texas
1. Re: Whale watching question

Anyone?

Newbury Park...
reviews: 28
2. Re: Whale watching question

We went out this past July - saw A LOT of dolphins but no whales. It was also very hot.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
3. Re: Whale watching question

We've gone in February and March - and did see whales each time (out of Oxnard).

Once, in March, we saw whales right from the highway (old Highway 1, now State Beach Road, between Ventura and Carpinteria).

We went with Island Packers both times.

Texas
4. Re: Whale watching question

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Anyone else have any input?

I think I'd probably prefer July if the weather is okay but would pick March if the chances of seeing whales are significantly higher.

Another potential drawback to July is I imagine the crowds in San Diego and LA would be more. Is this a correct assumption? Also my daughter would like to swim in a pool and I don't think she could in March. How about July? I assume it's plenty warm by then? We could always pick a hotel with an indoor pool but that narrows our choices so much.

Thanks again.

5. Re: Whale watching question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 19, 2010