We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island in the Sky and Needles District

florida
reviews: 5
Island in the Sky and Needles District

Is it possible to see Island in the Sky and the Needles District in one day?

5 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
1. Re: Island in the Sky and Needles District

Definitely not. They are in opposite directions from Moab and about 2-1/2 to 3 hours apart. If you're doing a short trip, confine yourself to Islands in the Sky which is very manageable in conjunction with Arches. It's about 90 minutes from Moab to Needles.

What's your overall plan? Might be able to give better advice to see your itinerary in context.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: Island in the Sky and Needles District

Greetings nenep...

I concur with T&C, don't try to visit these areas in the same day. Even if you are coming up highway 191 from Monticello I wouldn't want to visit the Needles and then try to hit IITS later in the afternoon. If you want to get out of your car and even do short hikes, this would be difficult. It especially doesn't make sense if you are basing this trip from Moab, as they will be in opposite directions.

Reno, Nevada
reviews: 9
3. Re: Island in the Sky and Needles District

It would be very difficult to explore both areas fully in one day, but I suppose possible. I think you wouldn't do them justice though. I just visited both places. The Needles took a full day and Island in the Sky a hurried half day. The drive alone between the entrances to each park is a good two hours. We did not do much hiking, but a few of the small ones. Because of the picture opportunities alone, you will want to give yourself plenty of time to explore. Also, let me mention that I went week of 9/16 and there were very little crowds. I imagine depending on the time of year, crowds could take more time. I would recommend Arches and Island in one day if you are tight on schedule and planning on visiting there as well.

Salt Lake City, UT
reviews: 9
4. Re: Island in the Sky and Needles District

Of course, it is possible to visit both areas in a single day, but certainly not possible to "fully explore" either one individually in even several days.

Now that I'm done being a bit pedantic, I would agree withe consensus and strongly recommend picking one or the other for a single day.

florida
reviews: 5
5. Re: Island in the Sky and Needles District

Thank you all for your reply. I think we'll spend one day at Arches and another day at Island in the Sky.

Reply to: Island in the Sky and Needles District
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted