We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chesler park

São Paulo
reviews: 28
Chesler park

I'm planning to hike chesler park/ joint trail in late November. I will be just myself. Please, any advise about it? I have maps and I will use the GPS in iPhone and I've read a lot about it.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 241
1. Re: Chesler park

Great hike and myriad options to build something as long or short as you wish. Do note that in late November it will be VERY short daylight hours, cold and some possibility of snow, although I wouldn't worry too much. But be dressed for radical temperature changes - maybe 20-30 degrees just with sun going down over rocks. Trail is not that hard, really, and pretty well signed. Your iPhone GPS will be pretty worthless, don't rely on it. Get a real GPS or pay really close attention to maps and signs. Elephant Hill trailhead is fine.

Do also note that it's about 90 minutes from Moab to the trailhead - easy drive, just long. I would suggest getting a start pre-dawn so you have maximum time. And do a reasonable length hike for your ability so that you're not stuck out there mid-afternoon with 3-4 miles to get back, then it gets dark and cold.

Have fun, one of the best trails in the area.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 19
2. Re: Chesler park

I would let someone know where you will be and when you expect to be back as well. There probably aren't many people on the trail in late November. Not that the trail is dangerous...but just in case. Have plenty of water... Yeah, I would imagine a iphone will be worthless in this area. Get good trail descriptions and have a printed copy. Also note that the road to get to Elephant Hill is dirt for about 3 miles. I've driven it with a 2WD car, but if it's raining or snow, I might reconsider.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 241
3. Re: Chesler park

What's really fun is going over the next hill!

São Paulo
4. Re: Chesler park

Thank you very much. I will come from monticello and I'm planning to arrive very early. I will have maps, water and layers of clothes.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Chesler park

does anyone have a kml or similar map of the trail ? I recently started mapping my hikes on google earth with kml files and moved them to my gps and it helps a lot with pacing myself and knowing where I am and where to look for.

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Chesler park

does anyone have a kml or similar map of the trail ? I recently started mapping my hikes on google earth with kml files and moved them to my gps and it helps a lot with pacing myself and knowing where I am and where to look for. Or at least the GPS coordinates of the major intersections .....

São Paulo
7. Re: Chesler park

Please try these 3 links:

www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php…

https:/…1300460.gpx

https:/…1300460.kmz

Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Chesler park

perfect !!!

thanks a lot.

Baltimore, MD
reviews: 12
9. Re: Chesler park

I did this hike on October 19 with my wife and six-year-old son (who walked under his own power the entire way). We had the park service paper map with us and had no trouble finding the route by using that map and the trail signs. For what it's worth, our hike took less than 7.5 hours from start to finish (and we took lots of rest breaks), and I suspect that a person in reasonably good shape would not take nearly that long. I would not be hesitant to do this hike on my own, even in late November.

São Paulo
10. Re: Chesler park

Thank you very much CWB71. By the way. Did you enjoy the hike? Was it worth it? If you could choose one day between island in the sky , arches or chesler park , what would you prefer?