We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

Columbus, Ohio
Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

I will first preface by saying I am well aware that Antelope Canyon is not in southern Utah. So, a few friends of mine and I will be travelling from Salt Lake City to southern utah/Northern Arizona in the coming weeks and all I can hear about Antelope Canyon is that it is a tourist trap. Supposedly there are equally or even better slot canyons in the region that are not very mainstream, and my question is what are they specifically? Any info is greatly appreciated, I always think that a local/seasoned traveller's insight is the best resource and going to a less trafficked or lesser foreigner known destination could be very desirable.

Thanks, Hershel

7 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
1. Re: Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

Here is a list of a few...ok more than a few.

www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/

Antelope is popular because its pretty easy to get to from a main highway, and not too much effort is involved. And its a pretty nice canyon. I wouldn't necessarily call it a tourist trap.

Depending on the season you go, its possible to be the only person in Antelope, like the time I did Lower.It was great.

Edited: 1:26 am, June 12, 2013
St. Augustine...
reviews: 89
2. Re: Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

We highly recommend Hummer Adventures out of Page. We, too, chose to bypass Antelope for this less traveled option. This company takes a limited number of guests (no more than ten, I believe,) to Secret Canyon. This slot is located on Navajo land and is accessible only by permit to Hummer Adventures. The hummer trip out and back is an adventure in itself and great fun. The canyon is spectacular. On our particular trip, there were only four of us, plus our great guide, who gave us as much time as we wanted to explore and photograph the canyon and surrounding area. He also offered photography tips to maximize results in the unusual lighting circumstances.

Hummer Adventures offers longer tours to several more canyons. We didn't do this, due to our physical limitations, but we would have loved to. I have no doubt the other canyons are amazing, based on our sample of Secret Canyon. Here are some of our photos.

buckosphotos.com/-/buckosphotos/gallery.asp…

and Hummer's website

http://www.hummeradventures.net/

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
3. Re: Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

The Zion Narrows is one of the best if not the best slot canyon in south Utah, IMO There are plenty of slot canyons in the vicinity of Escalante, accessed via dirt roads and the well known Hole in the Rock Road. Another slot(s) easy to access is off of SR 24 near Goblin Valley called Little Wild Horse and Bell. There are still other slots near Bryce also accessed via dirt roads on BLM lands. Antelope is a tourist trap because it is so easy to access and everyone can find it . Every other slot canyon requires more effort (and sometimes a suitable vehicle)to get to.

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

Buckskin Gulch .... longest slot canyon in the world. Google it ...

New Orleans
reviews: 1
5. Re: Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

Second Buckskin. Especially if you are in the Page area.

Kanab, Utah
reviews: 51
6. Re: Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

Wire Pass is a neat little, short slot next to the famous WAVE. Willis Creek is also neat - off Skutumpah Road near Kanab, UTah. Of course the famous NARROWS or SUBWAY in Zion are great, you can always sign up with a Canyoneering co in Springdale. Seldom Seen Adventures in Kanab takes people to some of the more remote and spectacular slots, either on day hikes or - rappeling! They are excellent, very safe, competent and provide awesome experiences.

Regina, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
reviews: 78
7. Re: Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?

There are several nice ones... a few that are similar to Antelope without the crowds.

A few of the better ones near the Arizona/Utah border include Buckskin Gulch, Bull Valley Gorge, Paria River, in the hwy 89 area. More up near Zion... more further north and of course off Hole In the Rock Road off Utah 12.

Reply to: Slot Canyons besides Antelope in Southern Utah?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted