We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip advice

Which Bryce Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hawaii
reviews: 14
Road Trip advice

Hi,

Will be traveling to Vegas in early August with my Parents. Would like advice on my planed road trip and how much time to devote to each location. Basically we want to see Zion, Bryce and South Rim on GC. I would like to take a drive on UT 12.

My parents are elderly and so that eliminates hikes unless very short and easy - I'm thinking about a mile max.

My plan so far is as follows:

Thursday: Leaving Vegas early (05:00) to Zion + Kolob and will stay there the whole day with room in Springdale (Flanigans).

Friday: Depart Springdale (0500) for Bryce Canyon- (Is there a scenic drive in here?) Then turn around to GC South rim.

Saturday: Spend day in GC South Rim

Sunday: Head back to Vegas at around noon.

BIG question: Is it advisable to try and do UT 12 on Friday and if so what route do I take? It looks pretty long so I was thinking maybe just go to Boulder then turn back over Hogsback and follow this route from MS Streets - 1862 to Hole in Rock Rd to local road to Missing Canyon RD to Warm Creek Rd to US89. (Are all those paved roads?)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Park City, UT
reviews: 26
11. Re: Road Trip advice

You state "we want to see Zion, Bryce, and South Rim on GC." That seems pretty reasonable to me. Would you feel really bad to miss the UT12 drive?

How about:

Thursday: Las Vegas to Zion. Stay in the valley and skip Kolob this trip. Two or three hours in Zion. Go on to Bryce and stay in the park. Try to get there by sunset for the colors. (about 250 miles?)

Friday: Bryce to South Rim GC. You could start at 8 or 9 and stop at Marble Canyon and/or Camerons. (about 250 miles)

Sat: Grand Canyon

Sun: to Las Vegas

Middlesex County, NJ
reviews: 1
12. Re: Road Trip advice

I am no expert here. We did our first family trip to the Southwest this past Nov.

I am sure others can advise better then I could.

We did Vegas, GC, Bryce Zion back to Vegas in a week. So that is how I know about how much driving there is in a trip like that and we would never have been able to fit in UT 12.

Could you possibly look into doing Zion, Bryce and the North rim of the GC?

That would cut down on ALOT of the driving and give you more time to see each park.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
13. Re: Road Trip advice

Yes, I think that's a better idea. Skip ut 12 this trip and come back next year and take all day for it. If this is your first trip to GC I would recommend GCSouth Rim though. It''s easier to visit the rim without longer hikes and there are more viewing points. Also more accomodation. NR only has one lodge. For both make reservations asa possible.

Visiting north rim will limit your driving distance as Kjcmom has said. And is also amazing.

Tet

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
reviews: 45
14. Re: Road Trip advice

if you have turn around in Boulder on UT12 you should definitely skip it this time, the section north of Boulder is completely different from the southern section and very scenic.

Bob Palin

Hawaii
reviews: 14
15. Re: Road Trip advice

Thanks for all the replies!

After talking it over with my parents we will be sticking fairly close to original plan of going to Zion and spending the night with a quick trip to Bryce the next day and ending at GC South rim. Spend a day and a half at GC South then head back to that crazy place...Vegas.

My Mom was actually kind of excited about driving on UT12 but my Dad was not. I told her that most on the forum recommended not trying, so we agreed that it would probably be best to skip this time around. Besides I told her Bryce looks pretty darn amazing as well so I guess we will see how everything turns out. This won't be for a long time but I'll definitely post how things went.

Thanks again

16. Re: Road Trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 22, 2009