We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

Which Bryce Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 5
Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

My wife and I will be in LA the night of October 19th. We have 5 days to travel and have to be back to LA late at night on October 25th. We were thinking of doing the following:

10/20 - driving to Zion

10/21 - Narrows hike

10/22 - Angels Landing then drive to Bryce for sunset

10/23 - Bryce then drive to Furnace Creek in Death Valley

10/24 - Death Valley

10/25 - Death Valley then drive back to LA

Does this plan seem reasonable? Will it be too cold at that time of the year to visit Bryce?

Thanks

22 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

What is too cold? Bryce is almost 8000 feet above sea level so expect nights to be close to freezing. But days should be pleasant. I see no reason to change your plan. Keep in mind that days will be getting shorter.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

Greetings linkrus, Bryce is a higher elevation but the temp should be fine in the day time. Bring layers of clothing and you'll be fine. Here are a couple of weather charts for the month of October.

weatherspark.com/averages/29719/10/Bryce-Can…

Your plan will have you driving 5-6 hours on three of the days for your vacation. That's almost the equivalent of a cross-country flight for those days. You'll absolutely see some amazing county, but will be paying a price in travel times. Zion and Bryce are quite amazing though and if you've never experienced them, it would be a good time to go with smaller crowds and cooler temps and the leaves will probably be changing colors in Zion. You'll get some spectacular photos. A way to cut 4 hours of drive time would be to skip Death Valley. But you might want to ask people that have been through the area, because I haven't.

Edited: 2:44 am, August 21, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
3. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

Here is a good hiking guide for Zion. You can click on the trails for detailed descriptions and there are photos too. www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/allhikes.cfm

Point being, you could spend another day or two in Zion and visit the Kolob Section and do other hikes, if you choose.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
4. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

October is a great time to visit DV.The temps are starting to come down. Furnace Creek Inn is the top end place to stay there, or Furnace Creek Ranch is good too.

After staying at FC I would exit the park and head to LA via Trona and Ridgecrest, or another great route is go all the way to Lone Pine at the base of the Sierras, then take 395/14 to LA.

If you want to rent a Jeep to explore the dirt roads of the park, Farrabees has jeep rentals near Furnace Creek Inn.

Don't miss Dantes View for sweeping views of the park.

LA to Zion on the first day is about 7-8 hours depending on traffic.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
5. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

You'll lose one hour on the drive between LA and Zion and gain one hour between Bryce and Death Valley. Great time for DV indeed.

Boston
6. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

Thank you all for your input.

What actually bothers me more than driving is packing/unpacking and checking in/out.

We have a reservation at Desert Pearl Inn for three nights and I would prefer to make Bryce a 1-day trip.

But I really would like us to be there at sunset and it's my understanding that driving from Bryce to Zion after sunset is not safe. Understandably safety is more important than convenience. Could someone please comment on driving from Bryce to Zion after 6:00pm? Thanks.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
reviews: 46
7. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

I often visit Bryce in December and January...

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
8. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

Desert Pearl is a nice place.

There can be lots of animals on the road driving at that time.Like herds of deer.

If you want to see Bryce an overnight is better. That way you can see sunset, sunrise(which I think is better than sunset) and the clear dark night skies.

Another option, is to do the longest drive to Bryce on day one. Get there late afternoon for sunset, stay over,and leave for Zion the next day. Get the longest drive of your trip over with on the first day.It would also shorten your drive to DV going from Zion.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
9. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

No, it's not safe. That stretch is notorious for wildlife on the road. Even in the daytime there's wildlife. I know what I'm talking about because we had some almost collisions with wildlife on those roads. You'll have to be very careful driving between Bryce and Zion in the dark.

Boston
10. Re: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?

Thank you. I think that's what we'll do. Drive to Bryce on Day1 and then two nights at Desert Pearl Inn and two nights at Furnace Creek Lodge.

Reply to: Is it too cold to visit Bryce in late October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...