We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Rainbow Point and stops

Which Bryce Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Exeter, United...
Drive to Rainbow Point and stops

Hi everyone,

I am driving to Bryce next April and planning to drive to Rainbow Point, how long roughly would this take for the Parks entrance(i am staying near Panguitch)? I would like to stop for 1 or 2 short hikes that are suitable for kids(14/12/9), see the hoodoos?

From looking at other posts i believe this is not a circular drive, but up and back, is that correct?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
1. Re: Drive to Rainbow Point and stops

Yes, up and back. From the park gate it is about 20 minutes, half an hour. Up at rainbow point you can hike the Bristlecone loop, though you do not see too many hoodoos from this one, but it is a short hike.

From Rainbow point back down to the main Amphitheatre, you find a series of pulloffs on your side of the road, which offer different views other than the main amphitheatre. At the main Amphitheatre you can hike Queens garden trail(the easiest trail in terms of elevation gain/not as steep), or you can hike the Navajo Loop/Wall Street. It may be important to note that you do not have to hike too far below the rim to experience the different perspective from being above the hoodoos, to being amongst the hoodoos. Here is a page which lists the park maps and other guides>> nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
2. Re: Drive to Rainbow Point and stops

To clarify, Rainbow Point to the Parks gate is about 20 minutes or so, depending on traffic. Panguitch is not that close to Bryce. Without pulling out Google maps, I would say Panguitch to Bryce NP is about half an hour. Hopefully you had originally looked for accomodations closer to Bryce

Exeter, United...
3. Re: Drive to Rainbow Point and stops

Thanks everyone, that's great. Yes I realise we are a little way out, we are staying at Cottonwood Meadow Lodge for a few nights, which looks amazing and which will be an experience in itself.

Thanks again.

4. Re: Drive to Rainbow Point and stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 23, 2014